Solved Can't startx

Hello,
I'm trying to use FreeBSD 13.0 RELEASE at my PC. After giving up of root on zfs (at first I followed this guide,https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/...gside-another-os-sharing-the-same-disk.75734/, but got "Solaris: NOTICE: Cannot find the pool label for ‘zroot’" when booting), I managed to install it.

I installed xorg
#pkg install xorg
the nvidia driver
#pkg install nvidia driver
and added
nvidia_load="YES"
to /boot/loader.conf, following
followed the steps here: https://docs.freebsd.org/doc/7.3-RELEASE/usr/share/doc/en/articles/compiz-fusion/nvidia-setup.html. The system failed at reboot. Seems like editing loader.conf is a bad idea. I followed https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/freebsd-13-0-wont-boot-after-nvidia-drivers-installed.81800/:
# sysrc kld_list="nvidia-modeset nvidia”
and made file /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/driver-nvidia.conf
"Device"
Identifier "NVIDIA Card
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
Driver "nvidia"
EndSection

Finally I installed dwm
#pkg install dwm
and created a .xinitrc with "exec dwm".

But when I try
# startx
all I got is a bunck of warnings of the form "Could not resolve keysym XF86..." and then "Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server". And that's it. X runs. But the terminal is full os warnings, no dwm.
--------------------------------------
There was a typo in "nvidia-modeset" in rc.conf. I erased the "nvidia", fixed the typo, and it works now.

all I got is a bunck of warnings of the form "Could not resolve keysym XF86..." and then "Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server". And that's it. X runs. But the terminal is full os warnings, no dwm.
As the error message says, those errors are non-fatal. I see them also when running Xorg.

Try WM x11-wm/twm, to see if x11-wm/dwm is to blame. It is installed as a dependency of x11/xorg.

If that doesn't work please post URL returned by commands
  • pciconf -lv | grep -B3 display | nc termbin.com 9999
  • cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | nc termbin.com 9999

A warning is not an error; A warning says "you might want to take a look if that's okay to you", and doesn't say that something is going wrong.

As the error message says, those errors are non-fatal. I see them also when running Xorg.

Try WM x11-wm/twm, to see if x11-wm/dwm is to blame. It is installed as a dependency of x11/xorg.

If that doesn't work please post URL returned by commands
  • pciconf -lv | grep -B3 display | nc termbin.com 9999
  • cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | nc termbin.com 9999
Edit: I searched about the output of the second command, and find out the sugestion is replace nvidia by nvidia-modeset. Then I realized there was a typo in rc.conf: in the kld_list line, "nvidia-modeset" was nvidia-modset. I fixed it, removed the "nvidia" module of this line, rebooted and it works now. Thank you!
-------------------------------------------
Same with twm. It shows the lot of warnings plus some about fonts for charsets and the window manager doesn't show up. I don't know if I was clear in my post: X keeps running, but all it does is print the warnings.
For the first command: 0t1d
The second: vyz9

Back