Cant start terminal applications without going to Sudo

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, wasn't sure where it should go.

I am new to FreeBSD and I have installed the latest issue, and everything is functioning well. The problem I have is that I use a few terminal programs such as Midnight Commander and CMUS to name the ones I currently have issues starting.

When I go to run MC without sudo it comes back with this error:
"Failed to run: Cannot create /home/jamie/.config/mc directory"

When I run CMUS without sudo it says the following:

cmus: error: creating directory '/home/jamie/.config/cmus': Permission denied

Any suggestions for this newbie? Be gentle :)

It may be a permission problem. But if it would be, you should have more trouble than these two ones...
Open a command line with your user "Jamie".

uname -a
cd
ls -al | grep .config

Then, copy here the result.

I am new to FreeBSD and I have installed the latest issue,
Which is? There are several editions and if you installed CURRENT then you didn't get the latest & greatest, far from it even. There are also 2 officially supported releases being 10.4 and 11.2 so it helps to be specific.

When I go to run MC without sudo it comes back with this error:
"Failed to run: Cannot create /home/jamie/.config/mc directory"
How are you trying to run this? What is your graphical environment?

I agree with the poster above that it's most likely a permission issue. My guess is that you ran your GUI (or another program) as root to begin with which now results in problems. Open a terminal, just any, and run ls -ld /home/jamie/.config. That should show you as much (or ls -ld ~/.config if you don't like typing ;) ).

You can fix this problem by running chown -R jamie ~/.config, just make sure you're logged on as the right user. And don't use the root account too casually, a lot of bad things can happen because of that.

I am running Freebsd 11.2 Release #0 R335510. I have I3 installed. When I enter ls -al | grep.config.

It comes back saying "sh: grep.config: not found

ShelLuser: I think you right I did run things with root, stupid me.....Freebsd is certainly a steep learning curve. :)

Your permissions on ~/.config are not correct.

sudo chown jamie:jamie -R /home/jamie/.config

Back