Solved Can't Shut Down From Mate Menu Bar After Upgrading Ports And Packages

I upgraded all the ports and packages on one of my computers yesterday. The machine still runs 12.0 with Mate as the desktop, but I can't shut it down from the menu bar. I can, however, do so through Terminal using:

shutdown -h now

Based on someone else's advice, I also did:

freebsd-update fetch
freebsd-update install

pkg update
pkg autoremove
pkg upgrade -f

No change.

I also tried revising:

/usr/local/etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf by adding:

Code:
<match action="org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown">
<match user="MY USER NAME">
<return result="yes"/>
</match>
</match>

No change. I did run, however:

ck-list-sessions

and, among the results, I saw:

Code:
active = FALSE
is-local = TRUE

Does anyone have any suggestions? It appears that consolekit isn't running properly, so maybe I still have to install something or set a parameter.

Thank you.

Perhaps this thread can help: Thread 70845

FYI - the command freebsd-update has nothing to do with installed software. It only updates the base OS, not the software you install with ports or packages. If you are coming from Linux, this misunderstanding is common because Linux dumps all the OS software and end user software together.

Perhaps this thread can help: Thread 70845

FYI - the command freebsd-update has nothing to do with installed software. It only updates the base OS, not the software you install with ports or packages. If you are coming from Linux, this misunderstanding is common because Linux dumps all the OS software and end user software together.
Thanks for your reply.

I read through that thread last night and I tried what was suggested. No luck.

I'm still wondering why it appears that consolekit isn't running.

Is Mate` started via startx or via a login manager (slim, xdm, etc)? Have you tried the exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session mate-session in the thread I referenced? I "think" that's how you start consolekit or invoke. it anyway. I have never used a desktop environment on FreeBSD so can't intelligently speak to doing that.

Is Mate` started via startx or via a login manager (slim, xdm, etc)? Have you tried the exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session mate-session in the thread I referenced? I "think" that's how you start consolekit or invoke. it anyway. I have never used a desktop environment on FreeBSD so can't intelligently speak to doing that.
I login using slim. Oddly enough, I revised my .xinitrc file as you suggested and I couldn't get into my account.

Polytropon had some good advice in the mailing lists.

Check to make sure that dbus and hal are loaded. They are needed for Mate desktop.
/etc/rc.conf
Code:
dbus_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"

I agree with Sevendogsbsd that you need to reveal the way you start Mate. That will help diagnose your problem.
Both dbus and hal are installed and running as I can see them listed when I run top in Terminal.

I use slim for the login manager.

Doesn't sound smart now but my solution was, replacing every no with an yes In /usr/local/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.consolekit.policy.
Well, son of a gun! It worked. Thanks.

This has to be a problem specific to Mate, at least as it is with FreeBSD 12. I've got a laptop that's running 11.2 with Xfce as the desktop and I didn't have to change anything. I know that Xfce has its own quirks with regards to those files, but I don't recall ever having a problem with basic functions such as a regular menu shutdown occurring.

I still get the same results I mentioned earlier when I run

ck-list-sessions

so there's still something wobbly somewhere. But, like we sometimes said when I worked in industry many years ago, if it works, don't fix it.

I'll be cautiously watching this for the next while.

P. S. I'm going to upgrade to FreeBSD 12.1 tonight and see what happens.

Well, son of a gun! It worked. Thanks.

This has to be a problem specific to Mate, at least as it is with FreeBSD 12. I've got a laptop that's running 11.2 with Xfce as the desktop and I didn't have to change anything. I know that Xfce has its own quirks with regards to those files, but I don't recall ever having a problem with basic functions such as a regular menu shutdown occurring.

I still get the same results I mentioned earlier when I run

ck-list-sessions

so there's still something wobbly somewhere. But, like we sometimes said when I worked in industry many years ago, if it works, don't fix it.

I'll be cautiously watching this for the next while.

P. S. I'm going to upgrade to FreeBSD 12.1 tonight and see what happens.
I was a bit leery of tinkering too much with those files, so I came up with an alternative. Rather than shutting down the machine through Terminal, I returned to using the original file and set up a pair of launchers instead. One shuts down the computer and the other one restarts it.

It's not the same as using the Mate menu, of course, but it accomplishes the same thing.

Back