Can't set default snd unit from loader.conf

Just installed 12.1 on a Thinkpad T410. There were a number of problems that needed to be solved after installation, but let's focus on just one: there was no sound as installed. After some digging and experimenting, I found that setting hw.snd.default_unit to 1 (default is 0) with sysctl did the trick. So I added the following line to /boot/loader.conf to obtain this setting on every reboot:

hw.snd.default_unit="1"

This does not work. When the system comes up, hw.snd.default_unit is 0. Checking dmesg, I find this:

Setting sysctl hw.snd.default_unit failed: 22

Really not helpful. Can anyone tell me what 22 means?

You are correct that the setting I made only changes the default unit and does not load the driver. But the driver I need (for Intel sound hardware) is now part of the kernel and does not need to be loaded. The proof of that is in my initial post, though I didn't spell it out explicitly. If I boot the system, log in as root and do

sysctl hw.snd.default_unit=1

the sound now works. No driver loading needed.

Thanks for the response.

hw.snd.default_unit to 1 (default is 0) with sysctl did the trick. So I added the following line to /boot/loader.conf
That's the wrong place. The right place is in /etc/sysctl.conf. From sound(4):
Code:
Runtime Configuration
     There are a number    of sysctl(8) variables available which can be modified
     during runtime.  These values can also be stored in /etc/sysctl.conf in
     order to automatically set    them during the    boot process.  hw.snd.*    are
     global settings and dev.pcm.* are device specific.

hw.snd.default_unit

Thank you -- that works.

This leads to a documentation question, though. While I am a very experienced Linux and OpenBSD user and administrator, that is not the case with FreeBSD. There *are* sysctl variables that can be (must be?) set in loader.conf. Quoting from my own loader.conf:
kern.vty="vt"
hw.vga.textmode="1"
hw.psm.synaptics_support="1"
hw.psm.trackpoint_support="1"

Maybe I missed it in the documentation, which I obviously have not read cover-to-cover, but the question becomes how is someone like me is supposed to know that hw.psm.synaptics_support settings belong in /boot/loader.conf, but hw.snd.default_unit settings belong in /etc/sysctl.conf? (Short of posting a question here and fortunately finding someone like you who knows the answer.)

For example, the sysctl man page says:

Some of the variables which cannot be modified during normal system
operation can be initialized via loader(8) tunables. This can for
example be done by setting them in loader.conf(5). Please refer to
loader.conf(5) for more information on which tunables are available and
how to set them.

Which, of course, was what led me to place the sound setting in loader.conf.
The loader.conf man page has no useful information that I can decode about what "tunables" are available. For example, setting hw.vga.textmode in loader.conf works (to get console switching to work properly, another FreeBSD install headache). Where is that documented?

I'm raising these questions to try to understand whether I've been deficient in reading the documentation or the documentation is deficient.

There *are* sysctl variables that can be (must be?) set in loader.conf. Quoting from my own loader.conf:
kern.vty="vt"
hw.vga.textmode="1"
hw.psm.synaptics_support="1"
hw.psm.trackpoint_support="1"

Maybe I missed it in the documentation, which I obviously have not read cover-to-cover, but the question becomes how is someone like me is supposed to know that hw.psm.synaptics_support settings belong in /boot/loader.conf, but hw.snd.default_unit settings belong in /etc/sysctl.conf? (Short of posting a question here and fortunately finding someone like you who knows the answer.)

Carry out a search in the documentation:

1 - Search in in the manuals:

Execute manpath(1), that will, as the name says, print man pages paths.
Code:
/usr/share/man:/usr/local/share/man:/usr/local/man:/usr/share/openssl/man:/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/man:/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.30/perl/man

To search for documentation in the manuals for hw.psm.sysnaptics_support:
grep -rZn hw.psm.sysnaptics_support /usr/share/man /usr/local/share/man /usr/local/man
Code:
Binary file /usr/share/man/mandoc.db matches
/usr/share/man/man4/psm.4.gz:336:.Va hw.psm.synaptics_support

grep -rZn hw.snd.default_unit /usr/share/man /usr/local/share/man /usr/local/man
Code:
/usr/share/man/man4/snd_hda.4.gz:88:.Ar hw.snd.default_unit
/usr/share/man/man4/sound.4.gz:340:.It Va hw.snd.default_unit
/usr/share/man/man4/sound.4.gz:349:.Pa /dev/dsp Ns Va ${hw.snd.default_unit} .
/usr/share/man/man4/sound.4.gz:699:.Dl sysctl hw.snd.default_unit=1
/usr/share/man/man4/snd.4.gz:340:.It Va hw.snd.default_unit
/usr/share/man/man4/snd.4.gz:349:.Pa /dev/dsp Ns Va ${hw.snd.default_unit} .
/usr/share/man/man4/snd.4.gz:699:.Dl sysctl hw.snd.default_unit=1
/usr/share/man/man4/pcm.4.gz:340:.It Va hw.snd.default_unit
/usr/share/man/man4/pcm.4.gz:349:.Pa /dev/dsp Ns Va ${hw.snd.default_unit} .
/usr/share/man/man4/pcm.4.gz:699:.Dl sysctl hw.snd.default_unit=1

For example, setting hw.vga.textmode in loader.conf works (to get console switching to work properly, another FreeBSD install headache). Where is that documented?
grep -rZ hw.vga.textmode /usr/share/man /usr/local/share/man /usr/local/man
Code:
/usr/share/man/man4/vt.4.gz:.Cd hw.vga.textmode=1
/usr/share/man/man4/vt.4.gz:.Va hw.vga.textmode
/usr/share/man/man4/vt.4.gz:.It Va hw.vga.textmode

Open man vt(4) (pager is less(1)), search in manual /hw.vga.textmode, to repeat search press n, to repeate search reverse direction press N, for (search) help press h.

2 - Search in the FreeBSD documentation: pkg install en-freebsd-doc, with pkg info -l en-freebsd-doc determine installation path, e.g.:

/usr/local/share/doc/freebsd/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/book.html (single HTML), or
/usr/local/share/doc/freebsd/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/book.html (single HTML)

Enter those file paths in a web browser (graphical or console), bookmark them, open when necessary, use find function of the web browser. I have in www/lynx and www/firefox that documentation (and other) bookmarked.

Running pkg info -l en-freebsd-doc you may notice a lot of other documentation is installed. You may find the one or other interesting.

Books: https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/
Articles: https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/

PS: hw.psm.sysnaptics_support is mentiones in the handbook page Sevendogsbsd linked to:

Rich (BB code):
In this example, the graphics card (NVidia) has been enumerated before the sound card (Realtek ALC889). To use the sound
card as the default playback device, change hw.snd.default_unit to the unit that should be used for playback:

# sysctl hw.snd.default_unit=n

where n is the number of the sound device to use. In this example, it should be 4. Make this change permanent by adding the
following line to /etc/sysctl.conf:

hw.snd.default_unit=4

I'm raising these questions to try to understand whether I've been deficient in reading the documentation or the documentation is deficient.
Neither nor, you lacked the know how, but now you have it.

Settings in loader.conf are kernel environment settings. See kenv(). The file is parsed very early, even before the kernel is loaded (by loader(8)). A mistake here can lead to an unbootable system. Examples are in /boot/defaults/loader.conf.

Sysctl.conf is parsed later during the boot process. Typos here won't do much harm.
Sometimes it can be hard to determine which setting is which, as sysctl won't tell you.

Carry out a search in the documentation:

1 - Search in in the manuals:

Execute manpath(1), that will, as the name says, print man pages paths.
Code:
/usr/share/man:/usr/local/share/man:/usr/local/man:/usr/share/openssl/man:/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/man:/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.30/perl/man

To search for documentation in the manuals for hw.psm.sysnaptics_support:
grep -rZn hw.psm.sysnaptics_support /usr/share/man /usr/local/share/man /usr/local/man
Code:
/usr/share/man/man4/psm.4.gz:336:.Va hw.psm.synaptics_support

grep -rZn hw.snd.default_unit /usr/share/man /usr/local/share/man /usr/local/man
Code:
/usr/share/man/man4/snd_hda.4.gz:88:.Ar hw.snd.default_unit
/usr/share/man/man4/sound.4.gz:340:.It Va hw.snd.default_unit
/usr/share/man/man4/sound.4.gz:349:.Pa /dev/dsp Ns Va ${hw.snd.default_unit} .
/usr/share/man/man4/sound.4.gz:699:.Dl sysctl hw.snd.default_unit=1
/usr/share/man/man4/snd.4.gz:340:.It Va hw.snd.default_unit
/usr/share/man/man4/snd.4.gz:349:.Pa /dev/dsp Ns Va ${hw.snd.default_unit} .
/usr/share/man/man4/snd.4.gz:699:.Dl sysctl hw.snd.default_unit=1
/usr/share/man/man4/pcm.4.gz:340:.It Va hw.snd.default_unit
/usr/share/man/man4/pcm.4.gz:349:.Pa /dev/dsp Ns Va ${hw.snd.default_unit} .
/usr/share/man/man4/pcm.4.gz:699:.Dl sysctl hw.snd.default_unit=1

grep -rZ hw.vga.textmode /usr/share/man /usr/local/share/man /usr/local/man
Code:
/usr/share/man/man4/vt.4.gz:.Cd hw.vga.textmode=1
/usr/share/man/man4/vt.4.gz:.Va hw.vga.textmode
/usr/share/man/man4/vt.4.gz:.It Va hw.vga.textmode

Open man vt(4) (pager is less(1)), search in manual /hw.vga.textmode, to repeat search press n, to repeate search reverse direction press N, for (search) help press h.

2 - Search in the FreeBSD documentation: pkg install en-freebsd-doc, with pkg info -l en-freebsd-doc determine installation path, e.g.:

/usr/local/share/doc/freebsd/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/book.html (single HTML), or
/usr/local/share/doc/freebsd/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/book.html (single HTML)

Enter those file paths in a web browser (graphical or console), bookmark them, open when necessary, use find function of the web browser. I have in www/lynx and www/firefox that documentation (and other) bookmarked.

Running pkg info -l en-freebsd-doc you may notice a lot of other documentation is installed. You may find the one or other interesting.

Books: https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/
Articles: https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/

PS: hw.psm.sysnaptics_support is mentiones in the handbook page Sevendogsbsd linked to:

Rich (BB code):
In this example, the graphics card (NVidia) has been enumerated before the sound card (Realtek ALC889). To use the sound
card as the default playback device, change hw.snd.default_unit to the unit that should be used for playback:

# sysctl hw.snd.default_unit=n

where n is the number of the sound device to use. In this example, it should be 4. Make this change permanent by adding the
following line to /etc/sysctl.conf:

hw.snd.default_unit=4

Neither nor, you lacked the know how, but now you have it.

Good information. Thank you for going to the trouble.

Thank you for going to the trouble.
You’re welcome, and no trouble at al, just sharing my experience. In the past I saw here in the forums a command option, but had difficulties finding it in the man pages, not knowing which manual to look into ( the command itself wasn't helpful to determine the exact man page) . I came up with the grep -rZ method.

Having the FreeBSD Handbook and FAQ locally at hand ( and all the other books and articles ), I can query a search fast ( if they are single HTML ), or browse through them.

Back