Solved "Can't open display"

After running for about a week, attempts to open X applications on my work station all result in the same error:
Code:
 ** ericx@milicent ** ~ ** Tue Mar 03 20:44:44
$ xterm
No protocol specified
xterm: Xt error: Can't open display: :0.0
[Exit 1 ]
All existing, previously started X-apps continue to work fine.

At any X-app started remotely via ssh works fine.

However, if I open a new ssh session to yet another server and attempt to start an X-app, I get a similar error:
Code:
 ** ericx@fw ** ~ ** Wed Mar 04 09:29:58
$ xterm
Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyInvalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyInvalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyInvalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyxterm: Xt error: Can't open display: localhost.foobar.not:10.0
[Exit 1 ]
/tmp/.X11-unix/X0 appears to be alive and well (it's there, but I don't know how to poke at it meaningfully).

According to sockstat I appear to be using about 50 streams off the X0 socket (which doesn't seem excessive? Is there a limit?):
Code:
 ** ericx@milicent ** ~ ** Wed Mar 04 09:35:36
$ netstat -x | grep X0 | wc -l
This has happened before. It takes a week or two to reappear. Rebooting makes the problem go away. ~something~ is dieing; but I haven't been able to suss which.

~/.xsession-errors is ~choked~ with 2500 lines of spurious noise from KDE; so while I imagine the answer is buried in there, it may be no help until I replace KDE with something less vociferous (WindowMaker?).

I find this very weird and very disturbing.

I am running: 10.1-RELEASE-p5 (however, problem first appeared before using freebsd-update to bump up from 10.0-RELEASE-p[mumble]. Xorg was recompiled at the same time as the OS and is currently:
Code:
 ** ericx@milicent ** ~ ** Wed Mar 04 10:28:30
$ pkg info | grep xorg
linux-c6-xorg-libs-7.4_1  Xorg libraries (Linux CentOS 6.6)
xorg-7.7_1  X.Org complete distribution metaport
xorg-apps-7.7_2  X.org apps meta-port
xorg-cf-files-1.0.5_1  X.org cf files for use with imake builds
xorg-docs-1.7,1  X.org documentation files
xorg-drivers-7.7_2  X.org drivers meta-port
xorg-fonts-7.7  X.org fonts meta-port
xorg-fonts-100dpi-7.7  X.Org 100dpi bitmap fonts
xorg-fonts-75dpi-7.7  X.Org 75dpi bitmap fonts
xorg-fonts-cyrillic-7.7  X.Org Cyrillic bitmap fonts
xorg-fonts-miscbitmaps-7.7  X.Org miscellaneous bitmap fonts
xorg-fonts-truetype-7.7_1  X.Org TrueType fonts
xorg-fonts-type1-7.7  X.Org Type1 fonts
xorg-libraries-7.7_2  X.org libraries meta-port
xorg-macros-1.19.0  X.Org development aclocal macros
xorg-server-1.14.7_1,1  X.Org X server and related programs
Thank you for your time; but please note that the failure interval is measured in weeks; so I may not respond to suggestions quickly.

It's late, so this will [regrettably] be short. But it might help to open an xterm right after you start your X session, and issue (as root)
ps waux | grep xterm
then record the pid number(s). When (and if) the errors regarding "xterm MAGIC-COOKIE" start showing up. You can issue that same command again
( ps waux | grep xterm)
and see if any of the pids have disappeared. Sorry this is short. I have some other probable causes. But I'll have to expand on this tomorrow. I've got to go to bed.

Best wishes.

--Chris

I had a similar problem some time ago using KDE. Increasing shared memory seemed to fix my issue. I can't remember where I got this information from off hand, but these are the values I've been using:
Code:
kern.ipc.shmmni=1024
kern.ipc.shmseg=1024
kern.ipc.shmall=32768

OK Let's try that again. :)
I ran into this [similar] problem years ago, back in the xf[free]86 days. I couldn't remember how I cured it. But near as I can figure, you're running into a randomness issue, where "cookies" ([individual] sessions) are concerned. Additional research indicates this is a common issue, where KDE is concerned. Couple of things you could try that will at least isolate where the problem stems, if not cure it altogether.
1) Before starting X; rm ~/.Xauthority
2) Assuming you're connecting to the first display (0:0), in your shell, export the following:
export DISPLAY=:0.0
If it were me, in an effort to completely isolate the cause; I would try the first suggestion, and if it failed, try the second. Failing on either, I would do both.

That should cure it for you. :)

All the best.

--Chris

I had a similar problem some time ago using KDE. Increasing shared memory seemed to fix my issue. I can't remember where I got this information from off hand, but these are the values I've been using:
Code:
kern.ipc.shmmni=1024
kern.ipc.shmseg=1024
kern.ipc.shmall=32768

Sounds like a good idea; but it seems I'm already running those same amounts. I don't know whether the defaults for 10.1 were pushed up from 9.x; but I have made no adjustments as yet.

Code:
 ** ericx@milicent ** ~ ** Mon Mar 23 10:51:25
$ sysctl -a | grep kern.ipc.shm   
kern.ipc.shmmax: 67108864
kern.ipc.shmmin: 1
kern.ipc.shmmni: 1024
kern.ipc.shmseg: 1024
kern.ipc.shmall: 32768
kern.ipc.shm_use_phys: 0
kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed: 0

Hmm... The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is /tmp getting automatically cleaned, therefore possibly deleting sockets, or dbus connection errors.(which seem to be common when dbus is updated, however the behavior is present after reboot so...). I would probably just start grokking the logs myself at this point. Otherwise I'm really not sure what else to offer, sorry.

I ran into this [similar] problem years ago, back in the xf[free]86 days. I couldn't remember how I cured it. But near as I can figure, you're running into a randomness issue, where "cookies" ([individual] sessions) are concerned. Additional research indicates this is a common issue, where KDE is concerned. Couple of things you could try that will at least isolate where the problem stems, if not cure it altogether.
2) Assuming you're connecting to the first display (0:0), in your shell, export the following:
If it were me, in an effort to completely isolate the cause; I would try the first suggestion, and if it failed, try the second. Failing on either, I would do both.
I think you've got me in the right direction.

$DISPLAY is not the issue; but xauth is clearly screwed up:
Code:
** ericx@milicent ** ~/etc ** Mon Mar 23 11:40:40
$ echo $XAUTHORITY
/tmp/kde-ericx/xauth-105-_0
** ericx@milicent ** ~/etc ** Mon Mar 23 11:42:13
$ l /tmp/kde-ericx/
total 64
drwx------  2 ericx  wheel  2 Mar 23 11:40 .
drwxrwxrwt  14 root  wheel  21 Mar 23 11:49 ..
Not clear what is responsible for creating the xauth info in /tmp/kde-ericx dir. Or why it disappears after a week or so.

I think it's solved.
Found in my logs:
Code:
Removing old temporary files:
  /tmp/qipc_sharedmemory_qtsingleapplicationbfd226eec8217264ad14f2874ef82cdad0689049411
  /tmp/ksocket-ericx/KSMserver__0
  /tmp/qtsingleapp-clemen-b61d-69-lockfile
  /tmp/qtsingleapplication-3576-69-lockfile
  /tmp/kde-ericx/xauth-105-_0

I've been using the periodic script 110.clean_tmps for decades (it was more important when /tmp was an md; less important now that it's tmpfs) periodic.conf has been:
Code:
# 110.clean-tmps
daily_clean_tmps_enable="YES"                           # Delete stuff daily
daily_clean_tmps_days="7"                               # If not accessed for
I've changed it to:
Code:
# 110.clean-tmps
daily_clean_tmps_enable="YES"                           # Delete stuff daily
#daily_clean_tmps_dirs="/tmp"                           # Delete under here
daily_clean_tmps_days="7"                               # If not accessed for
#daily_clean_tmps_ignore=".X*-lock .X11-unix .ICE-unix .font-unix .XIM-unix"
#daily_clean_tmps_ignore="$daily_clean_tmps_ignore quota.user quota.group .snap"
#daily_clean_tmps_ignore="$daily_clean_tmps_ignore .sujournal"
daily_clean_tmps_ignore="$daily_clean_tmps_ignore kde-*/* xauth-*"
                                                        # Don't delete these
daily_clean_tmps_verbose="YES"                          # Mention files deleted

That should cure it for you. :)

All the best.

--Chris

Before starting X;

How is this to be made permanent?

Thanks

Back