Solved Can't log in to my desktop

I followed the handbook and now I'm trying to log into my desktop, but every time the boxes where you insert your user and pass in kdm flashes red like if I put the wrong password, what to do?

I don't know if it's related, but if I start the desktop with startx, when I try to use sudo, it says that password is wrong.

Well, the most obvious would be that you are, in fact, typing in a wrong password.

I think the most common reason is wrong keyboard layout. If this is indeed the cause, create /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf to configure your keyboard -- here's mine for example:
Code:
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "system-keyboard"
        MatchIsKeyboard "on"
        Option "XkbLayout"      "de,us,ru"
        Option "XkbModel"       "pc105"
        Option "XkbVariant"     "nodeadkeys,,"
        Option "XkbOptions"     "compose:menu,grp:alt_shift_toggle"
EndSection
Adapt to your needs, see kbd(4).

A different setup (xdm and xfce), but I seem to recall similar behaviour and having to put `MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1` in one of the X config files.

Unfortunate I don't have access to my laptop at the moment, but might help in searching?

Thanks for the help, I would nave never thought of keyboard layout, since I never had the need to edit xorg configuration in other systems. I have @ and # in my pass so the pass was wrong because of wrong layout.

Thanks for the help, I would nave never thought of keyboard layout, since I never had the need to edit xorg configuration in other systems. I have @ and # in my pass so the pass was wrong because of wrong layout.
No problem, I directly ran into the same issue, but as I have seen this in very OLD Linux dists as well, when something will not accept my password, I try to type it in the username field, just to see whether the layout is wrong.

The reason why you only see this on FreeBSD is that, nowadays, nearly ALL Linux dists make sure the keyboard in X is configured the same as you chose installing the base system. It's not necessary to create an xorg.conf.d file for that, I think most Linux dists just use setxkbmap(1) in some X startup script. The difference with FreeBSD is that it delivers vanilla software and leaves any configuration that only affects you (like e.g. here your keyboard layout in X) to you. For me, the easiest way is a xorg.conf.d file, but you could chose otherwise. Of course this behavior can be unexpected nowadays, but I like it that way.

No problem, I directly ran into the same issue, but as I have seen this in very OLD Linux dists as well, when something will not accept my password, I try to type it in the username field, just to see whether the layout is wrong.

The reason why you only see this on FreeBSD is that, nowadays, nearly ALL Linux dists make sure the keyboard in X is configured the same as you chose installing the base system. It's not necessary to create an xorg.conf.d file for that, I think most Linux dists just use setxkbmap(1) in some X startup script. The difference with FreeBSD is that it delivers vanilla software and leaves any configuration that only affects you (like e.g. here your keyboard layout in X) to you. For me, the easiest way is a xorg.conf.d file, but you could chose otherwise. Of course this behavior can be unexpected nowadays, but I like it that way.
Yes, on Linux distributions, even ones like Gentoo or Arch I never needed to edit xorg layout, it was selected automatically basing on the language I selected when installing or using some simple commands.

Back