Solved Can't get to text console using Alt+Ctrl+F1-F8

I wonder how Nvidia users solve this?
It depends on what version of the NVidia driver you have. But setting hw.vga.textmode=1 seems to help for the older, legacy, driver versions. For the recent NVidia versions you need to make sure you're loading the nvidia-modeset kernel module.

I solved the issue by mistake. I am currently tring to get the nice bsd logo on the boot screen.
It got me better graphics on boot and no sqare on terminals but still no logo. (nvidia-driver-390)
loader.conf
Code:
hw.vga.textmode=0

I've been using the setting hw.vga.textmode=1 in loader.conf for a while to solve this. nvidia-driver-470, GeForce GT-740 hardware.

After some tweeking, it is actuall the screen.textmode="0" that solve the issue for me
That may tie into you trying to set a graphic mode during boot. I just leave the standard text mode (I actually like the ASCII art logo) which is why "=1" works for me.

Do you mean vidconsole? I tried with hw.vga.textmode and screen.textmode independently, but with the former I get the cubes and the later solves it.

I don't understand much of it but hw.vga.textmode="1" is enough to solve the problem.
I was trying to get the FreeBSD logo (pic) and so I set vbe_max_resolution="1080p" which set multiple things as default, probably overriding the textmodes.

Reactions: mer
I don't understand much of it but hw.vga.textmode="1" is enough to solve the problem.
I was trying to get the FreeBSD logo (pic) and so I set vbe_max_resolution="1080p" which set multiple things as default, probably overriding the textmodes.
That setting has worked for me too, thank you.
It probably activates the text mode of the virtual terminal.
It then uses no high resolution and no KMS driver and the problem no longer occurs.

Back