bhyve Can't find signed driver to install for a Windows 7 vm virtualized with bhyve.

Hello to everyone.

I'm trying to virtualize Windows 7 with bhyve on FreeBSD, using the following parameters :

Code:
bhyve -c 2 -m 2G -w -H \
-s 0,hostbridge \
-s 1,ahci-cd,/mnt/da2s1/ISO/Windows/Win.All.x64.March.2020.iso \
-s 2,ahci-cd,/home/marietto/Downloads/virtio-win-0.1.208.iso \
-s 3,virtio-blk,/mnt/da2s1/OS/bhyve/Windows/win7.img \
-s 4,fbuf,tcp=0.0.0.0:5901,w=1440,h=900,wait \
-s 8,virtio-net,tap1 \
-s 30,xhci,tablet \
-s 31,lpc \
-l bootrom,/usr/local/share/uefi-firmware/BHYVE_UEFI.fd \
vm1

as u you can see I want to use the virtio-blk type disk, so I will need to load the virtio vio stor driver. So, I've started the installation of Windows 7 and at some point I tried to load the correct driver, but it didn't work. It says that it can't find a signed driver as u you can see on the attached pictures. What should I do?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211122_145035.png
    Screenshot_20211122_145035.png
    93.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot_20211122_145048.png
    Screenshot_20211122_145048.png
    100.3 KB · Views: 74
Not the answer you are looking for, but Windows 7 is EOL since last year and there are no security updates anymore. Why do you want to install such a dangerous virus spreader?

Not the answer you are looking for, but Windows 7 is EOL since last year and there are no security updates anymore. Why do you want to install such a dangerous virus spreader?

this is a long story. But to make it short : I suspect that windows 7 allows me to pass thru my graphic card inside it without producing the error 43. You know,some time ago I played several months with ESXI 7,trying to pass thru my graphic card to a Windows 10 vm,but it never worked. One day,for curiosity I tried with windows 7 and it worked. the error 43 was gone away and my gc was working great. Unfortunately my monitor didn't turn on,so I've renounced. Now I would try again with bhyve. Maybe it fully works.

Anyway,this is the solution (for installing the virtio-blk driver) :

Try one of the old versions: #485 - 171 and below.

oh come on don't be so paranoic with the security. I'm an hobbist and I like to experiment because I really love to understand how the "things" are working under the hood :D. My machine is not a production machine. For sure I don't want to use 7 forever. I want only test my theory. If it is like I suspect,I will determine which component is missing in bhyve,because it will be missing also in windows 7. Anyway while I'm installing 7 the bhyve process gets killed randomly. Last time it got killed when seven was almost installed and it never was able to finish the installation. I tried to virtualize it even with qemu / kvm on linux,but the situation there is even worse : it constantly says that it hasn't been installed correctly and it restarts from the safe mode where it comes back every time.

Signed drivers are a Windows thing. Either use a non virtio driver for your emulated piece of hardware, get a signed virtio driver or turn driver signature checks in Windows off.

Signed drivers are a Windows thing. Either use a non virtio driver for your emulated piece of hardware, get a signed virtio driver or turn driver signature checks in Windows off.

with the virtio driver vers. 171 I have been able to install the virtio-blk driver and the installation of 7 continued until some point,when the bhyve process has been killed and from that point it never finished because it is killed everytime that it reaches the same point. More or less happens the same trying to virtualize 7 on Linux with qemu and kvm.

Back