can't connect to internet

OK, I am fighting with this problem longer than week and I am thinking about suicide.

I have "ZyXEL Prestige 600 series" modem.
Modem is in routing mode.
I also have windows on other partition and Internet connection is working.

PROBLEM:
I installed FreeBSD 8.0 release.
Choosed "NO" to all questions after install!
When I boot into FreeBSD router seems to have all LED's active!
here is image of router right after booting!: http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/391/dsc06112.jpg

Also here is the output of "ifconfig -a" command right after booting:
Code:
re0: [B]flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST>[/B] metric 0 mtu 1500
options=389b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,WOL_UCAST,WOL_MCAST,WOL_MAGIC>
ether 00:1a:92:34:04:9b
[B]media: Ethernet autoselect (10base/UTP <half-duplex>)
plip0: flags=8810<POINTOPOINT,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
options=3<RXCSUM,TXCSUM>
inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

I can0t ping 192.168.1.1 (re0).
It gives error message: "no route to host"

output of "dmesg | grep re0" is :
Code:
re0:<Realtek 8169SC/8110SC Single-chip Gigabit Ethernet> port 0x9800-0x98ff me $
re0: Chip rev. 0x18000000
re0: Mac rev. 0x00000000
re0: Ethernet adress: 00:1a:92:34:04:9b
re0: [FILTER]

Anyway when I execute "dhclient re0" command it gives this:
Code:
DHCPDISCOVER on re0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5
DHCPDISCOVER on re0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 14
DHCPDISCOVER on re0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 15
DHCPDISCOVER on re0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 10
DHCPDISCOVER on re0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 1
[B]No DHCPOFFERS received.
No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.[/B]

AFTER THIS COMMAND OUTPUT OF IFCONFIG -A and LED's on modem ARE CHANGING!

output of "ifconfig -a" after "dhclient re0" command:
Code:
re0: [B]flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST>[/B] metric 0 mtu 1500
options=389b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,WOL_UCAST,WOL_MCAST,WOL_MAGIC>
ether 00:1a:92:34:04:9b
[B]inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 255.255.255.255
media: Ethernet autoselect (none)
plip0: flags=8810<POINTOPOINT,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
options=3<RXCSUM,TXCSUM>
inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

and 10/100M LED on my modem after "dhclient re0" command becomes unstable.
It changes color to orange and turns ON:http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/4774/dsc06116m.jpg
and OFF:http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/3168/dsc06117h.jpg
all the time.
Please PLS PLS PLS help me, I don't know what to do :(

10/100 LED is usually green when you have a 100Mbit connection, orange when it's 10Mbit and off for no connection.

Ifconfig however shows status: no carrier. So something's not connecting right. Cable is ok?

How do you connect to the internet using windows? Is the network interface just set to "automatic address" and it works? Or is it connected to usb?

Also, one thing you could try. I've had a similar 'odd' issue with realtek :x
Booting windows and the NIC works fine, reboot to Freebsd and it won't budge. Nothing, no dhcp, not worky..
Turn the machine completely off, boot fbsd and it would work. Reboot to windows, fine. Reboot to fbsd, b0rked. I had to turn the machine completely off.

SirDice:
Ifconfig however shows status: no carrier. So something's not connecting right. Cable is ok?
Sure I'll check it. But then how is status: active before trying dhclient re0?

10/100 LED is usually green when you have a 100Mbit connection, orange when it's 10Mbit and off for no connection.
I don't mind orange color too :D. What bothers me is that it's not stable. on,off,on,off ....

How do you connect to the internet using windows? Is the network interface just set to "automatic address" and it works? Or is it connected to usb?
When I use Windows, my modem is connected to comp with USB cable.Interface is set to:
IP adresses
IP adress: 192.168.1.55
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS server adress:
Preferred DNS server: 212.39.98.162
Alternate DNS server: 212.39.98.161
But when using BSD i connect with RJ-45.

psycho said:
But then how is status: active before trying dhclient re0?
Status should be active before trying dhclient. Status active means the card detected a signal on the wire. Without a signal nothing will work.

When I use Windows, my modem is connected to comp with USB cable.
That's what I thought :)

Interface is set to:
IP adresses
IP adress: 192.168.1.55
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS server adress:
Preferred DNS server: 212.39.98.162
Alternate DNS server: 212.39.98.161
But when using BSD i connect with RJ-45.

What this probably means is that your modem/router isn't configured correctly. Follow the instructions for windows, make sure windows is able to use the internet using the ethernet cable instead of usb.

SirDice:
Follow the instructions for windows, make sure windows is able to use the internet using the ethernet cable instead of usb.
I'll try this. But how can this have effect on FreeBSD? pls explain i'm still noob.

And why isn't possible to use USB cable at freeBSD too?

psycho said:
I'll try this. But how can this have effect on FreeBSD? pls explain i'm still noob.
Because your router will take care of connecting to the internet. It needs to be properly configured. It actually doesn't matter what OS the client runs, as long as it can use DHCP you should be able to get an Internet connection. Most ISPs will tell you how to configure your modem/router. It'll be easier to follow those when everything looks familiar (windows).

And why isn't possible to use USB cable at freeBSD too?
I did a quick search for your modem and I couldn't find a driver. It'll be simpler to make use of the capabilities of your modem/router. At least until you know more about networking, drivers and freebsd ;)

Once the network/dhcp works for Windows, it'll work for FreeBSD.

tnx, I'll do my best to activate connection using RJ45 on win_xp.

and you know what is the most terrible thing here?
month ago I installed freebsd for the first time.
I simply plugged in RJ45, executed "dhclient re0" command and got internet connection working.

That is why this is driving me crazy. I know it can be done , but still problem -.-

you can see my first thread for internet connection here:http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=7745&page=2

if you look at the thread you'll see that output of for example "ifconfig -a" command is different comparing to my present situation.
You see , now I don't get tun0 interface in my "ifconfig -a" output, and it was before

Ok, I called service (of my ISP) and they told me that in order to use this kind of cable (RJ45) I have to download driver for my network card.

do you think this is useful?

and yes I have 10mbit connection

psycho said:
Ok, I called service (of my ISP) and they told me that in order to use this kind of cable (RJ45) I have to download driver for my network card.
The card is already working fine, no driver needed. You need to concentrate on the configuration of the modem/router.

Did you get your router from your ISP? Then it's protected by an unknown password I guess. Otherwise, try to browse to http://192.168.1.1 in Windows. There you should find a web interface which allows configuration of the router.

Setting a static IP address can be done with # ifconfig re0 inet 192.168.1.55 netmask 255.255.255.0.

volatilevoid:
There you should find a web interface which allows configuration of the router.
Yes I know. I've done that configuration(by the manual), but still nothing.

FBSDin20Steps & volatilevoid:
Originally Posted by volatilevoid
Setting a static IP address can be done with # ifconfig re0 inet 192.168.1.55 netmask 255.255.255.0.
...or use sysinstall to set a static ip-address.

i tried, it doesn't help. still "no carrier" status, still can't ping 192.168.1.1, still thinking about suicide...

cyanide would be good

psycho said:
cyanide would be good
It isn't, it's a rather painful death. I would pick carbon-monoxide.

Anyway, did you try a different ethernet cable? Does it work when you boot to windows?

SirDice said:
It isn't, it's a rather painful death. I would pick carbon-monoxide.

Anyway, did you try a different ethernet cable? Does it work when you boot to windows?
I'll try differnet cable, I think this is the last solution? i don't see anything else.
And no it doesn't work on windows because I don't have driver for network card, that's why I use usb cable + driver for modem

FBSDin20Steps said:
Can you show us your rc.conf and hosts...

/etc/rc.conf:
Code:
#Comments bla 
#bla
#bla
keymap="hr.iso"
hald_enable="YES"
#sysinstall generated deltas -- #Wed Feb 10 22:01:56 2010
ifconfig_re0="inet 192.168.1.55 netmask 255.255.255.0"
defaultrouter="192.168.1.1"
hostname="google.hr"

/etc/hosts:
Code:
::1             localhost    localhost.hr
127.0.0.1       localhost    localhost.hr
192.168.1.33    google.hr    google
192.168.1.33    google.hr.

psycho said:
DARN! I downloaded driver and ehternet cable (RJ45) is working under Windows!

Ok. That's cool. At least we now have a working situation.

Now, keep everything connected as it is. Turn the machine completely off for a few seconds. Then turn it on and boot FreeBSD.

I'm now wondering what the output of [cmd=]ifconfig re0[/cmd] has to say. The link status (10/100 LED) on your modem should turn on. Status should indicate it's active. Now try [cmd=]dhclient re0[/cmd]. This should result in the interface getting an IP address. When that works edit /etc/rc.conf and make sure the following is in there:
Code:
ifconfig_re0="DHCP"

SirDice said:
Ok. That's cool. At least we now have a working situation.

Now, keep everything connected as it is. Turn the machine completely off for a few seconds. Then turn it on and boot FreeBSD.

I'm now wondering what the output of [cmd=]ifconfig re0[/cmd] has to say. The link status (10/100 LED) on your modem should turn on. Status should indicate it's active. Now try [cmd=]dhclient re0[/cmd]. This should result in the interface getting an IP address. When that works edit /etc/rc.conf and make sure the following is in there:
Code:
ifconfig_re0="DHCP"
again, same thing.
when i boot, LED turned on, status active.
after dhclient command, LED becomes orange and unstable, status no carrier.

You know, I have some filling, that we could use something from my old old post, when I first time used freebsd and asked for help for internet connection.
here it is:http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=7745&page=2

and there are some differences.
for example, in output of "ifconfig -a" some tun0 interface was detected and now not.
and also there are differences on re0 in that output

Back