Other Can't build java package with javafx using maven

Lots of output, but it points to simply not having package javafx even installed.

Sometimes, you can install a package using Java's own facilities, and sometimes, the same stuff is available as an OS-specific package. Java packages are usually just .java files that are organized hierarchically, and are "imported" in a manner similar to #include files in C/C++. Then the compiler looks for those imported classes. If you know even the basics of Java programming, then my answer will make sense.

I generally stay away from Java programming in FreeBSD - just the installation of the basic stuff to get started is a mess that has a high chance of not working.

Lots of output, but it points to simply not having package javafx even installed.

Sometimes, you can install a package using Java's own facilities, and sometimes, the same stuff is available as an OS-specific package. Java packages are usually just .java files that are organized hierarchically, and are "imported" in a manner similar to #include files in C/C++. Then the compiler looks for those imported classes. If you know even the basics of Java programming, then my answer will make sense.

I generally stay away from Java programming in FreeBSD - just the installation of the basic stuff to get started is a mess that has a high chance of not working.
Unfortunately, I'm not good at java programming. Could you please tell me how to install this using native Java tools? Otherwise, in which FreeBSD package could I find it? I found java/openjfx14 which seems like it should do the job, but I don't yet understand how I can use it in my java build.

Unfortunately, I'm not good at java programming. Could you please tell me how to install this using native Java tools? Otherwise, in which FreeBSD package could I find it? I found java/openjfx14 which seems like it should do the job, but I don't yet understand how I can use it in my java build.
If you found a FreeBSD package like java/openjfx14, then by all means, install that. This is simpler than messing with the $CLASSPATH variables and actual filepath details. The FreeBSD port/package should take care of those details for you. Once you have the java/openjfx14 port/package installed, then you can re-attempt your build.

If you found a FreeBSD package like java/openjfx14, then by all means, install that. This is simpler than messing with the $CLASSPATH variables and actual filepath details. The FreeBSD port/package should take care of those details for you. Once you have the java/openjfx14 port/package installed, then you can re-attempt your build.
I run the build with mvn clean package

With the openjfx14 package installed, I have the same problem. A simple install didn't help. And the package assembly fails with the same errors.

That means that $CLASSPATH is not set correctly.

I suspect that specifically the java/openjfx14 port may be the issue, but I would not rule out a problematic install for the entire OpenJDK enchilada on your FreeBSD machine.

The Java programming language components (java, javac, jdb and the like) are supposed to be able to find all the extra packages and API's as specified by the import/include lines (normally at top of the .java source files). I think that something is wrong with the java/openjfx package itself. I'm basing my thinking on the fact that I do have an accidental install of OpenJDK myself (a LibreOffice dependency 😮‍💨 ).

There should be some kind of official wiki for setting up Java on FreeBSD. I know that this topic is NOT covered by the Handbook. If you can successfully follow that wiki (Google for it yourself, it should be on wiki.freebsd.org) and can set up a working Java installation, then I think you'd be in position to re-attempt your build. That's my updated thinking on the matter.

Back