Can't boot install disc when USB is enabled.

Whenever USB 2.0, USB mouse or USB keyboard is enabled from within the mobo BIOs I cannot boot the install disc. The error I get is something along the lines of.
hptrr: no controller detected
panic: ohci_add_done: addr (some hex string which I can't remember)
This ultimately leads to the following.
Cannot dump. No dump device defined.
My motherboard is GIGABYTE MA790XT-UD4P, I thought about flashing my BIOs but the packages that GIGABYTE provides are .exe. So does anyone know any other work around? If need be I'll go back to windows for a short while but I don't really want to, so if anyone knows any other work arounds I'd greatly appreciate it.

Maybe it's only the setup that doesn't work with USB enabled. If you have a PS2 port available, you could disable USB support temporarily, plug a PS2 keyboard for the setup and enable USB again after the setup?

BIOS flashing should not be done with a modern OS (e.g. Windows) running, so I doubt you need Windows.
What you need is an MS-DOS boot disk. You can make one with a Win9x system (if you can find any!) or you can download one from the Internet. I guess you could even use a DOS clone.

I have a PS/2 keyboard and managed to install but when I turned back on USB mouse I got the error again. Someone in another forum I saw said you can build a kernel from source and implement it when installing and tell it not to load the hptrr. Anyone know how I can go about doing that?

coyote_sprit said:
Someone in another forum I saw said you can build a kernel from source and implement it when installing and tell it not to load the hptrr
Well, I guess they mean you make a custom kernel on another computer, copy it on your computer using the livefs and boot from it. I'm not sure there's another way.

It's working now but some weird issue seems to be occurring now. If I start FreeBSD without my keyboard plugged in it loads just fine and then I can plug my keyboard it but if I plug my keyboard in before loading the kernel I get an error. My mouse isn't detected unless I plug it in after booting aswell.

Back