Can't boot from hard disk

I just acquired a Lenovo M92 Tiny and am trying to get it going. It came without a hard disk, so I installed one which had FreeBSD installed but it won't boot from it. Neither will it boot from it as an external disk using a USB caddy. The same disk will boot up on other hardware, and other disks will boot in the M92. The disk has GPT partitioning, although if that makes any difference. I can access the disk if I boot from another medium.

Could there be something in the BIOS preventing it from booting?

The BIOS says

Error 1962: No operating system found.

In the BIOS there is an option for ATA Device Setup, either IDE or AHCI. Neither makes any difference. There is also an option to (dis/en)able Native mode operation.

I think this is related to CSM (BIOS legacy) / UEFI and/or devices to boot. Try to switch between these boot modes and verify if your disk is listed in the startup list in the BIOS settings.

You can eventually post gpart show to see if your disk can or cannot boot in UEFI and/or CSM.

I think this is related to CSM (BIOS legacy) / UEFI and/or devices to boot. Try to switch between these boot modes and verify if your disk is listed in the startup list in the BIOS settings.

You can eventually post gpart show to see if your disk can or cannot boot in UEFI and/or CSM.

It is mentioned in the startup list.

gpart show:-
Code:
=>       40  976773088  da1  GPT  (466G)
         40       1024    1  freebsd-boot  (512K)
       1064  968883200    2  freebsd-ufs  (462G)
  968884264    7888863    3  freebsd-swap  (3.8G)
  976773127          1       - free -  (512B)

=>       40  976773088  diskid/DISK-000012345678  GPT  (466G)
         40       1024                         1  freebsd-boot  (512K)
       1064  968883200                         2  freebsd-ufs  (462G)
  968884264    7888863                         3  freebsd-swap  (3.8G)
  976773127          1                            - free -  (512B)

So, is it because I don't have an EFI partition?

If so, could I pinch some space from the swap partition?

A lot of people seem to have this problem on Lenova machines, or a similar problem.

If you're willing to try reinstalling FreeBSD, you might want to consider one or both of these two options: ( 1.) resetting the machine to factory defaults, and then ( 2.) using automatic partitioning, just to see what the FreeBSD installer gives you. You can always do another reinstall later since they only take about 15-20 minutes. Maybe your machine wants an MBR partitioning scheme, or maybe it wants GPT with EFI. Hard to guess.

You actually don't have an efi partition so this disk cannot boot in UEFI mode. Try to select legacy BIOS boot mode in your BIOS settings.

If you're willing to try reinstalling FreeBSD, you might want to consider one or both of these two options: ( 1.) resetting the machine to factory defaults, and then ( 2.) using automatic partitioning, just to see what the FreeBSD installer gives you. You can always do another reinstall later since they only take about 15-20 minutes. Maybe your machine wants an MBR partitioning scheme, or maybe it wants GPT with EFI. Hard to guess.

A reinstall might be quick but it's a 500GB disk with lots of stuff on and I have nowhere to offload it just now.

You actually don't have an efi partition so this disk cannot boot in UEFI mode. Try to select legacy BIOS boot mode in your BIOS settings.

Yeah, I thought that may be the problem, but I just tried another disk which didn't have an EFI partition either and that booted up OK

Back