PF Can't block traffic from jail to internal network / host

I would like to completely isolate jail from the local network but on the other side keep it accessible from the internet. Since I wasn't able to block it using the aliases I have tried to setup another jail behind PF NAT. And I got myself into same problem, I can block access to gateway router (192.168.1.1) by not doing NAT for 192.168.1.1/24 and allowing it for all other addresses (any).

Code:
nat on $ext_if from $jail to { ! 192.168.1.1/24, any} -> ($ext_if)

But I got into same problem as with alias, the 192.168.1.1 is not accessible from jail, but bsd host (192.168.1.150) running jails is. This is really killing me, I do understand that pf can't filter all the traffic due to internal optimizations on network traffic but I just can't believe that there is no way to protect local network from potentially defaced jail.

I guess I am missing something :( Any help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm... ok, I have set up a jail with vnet which is working, the routing table seems ok, but filtering outgoing traffic from jail on vnet0 still doesn't work. I have tried to tcpdump traffic on bridge and vnet0:JID and it captures traffic nicely but nothing is blocked by pf.

I feel like I am running in circles :(

Jail:
Code:
Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags     Netif Expire
default            192.168.1.1        UGS       vnet0
localhost          link#1             UH          lo0
192.168.1.0/24     link#2             U         vnet0
192.168.1.100      link#2             UHS         lo0

It also opens an annoying problem, the vnet0 assigned to a jail is vnet0:JID but as jid is not static it is hard to write any pf rules, I could go with mac... :confused: but... :confused:

Done some extended testing, same problem as before, there is no way to block jail from accessing the host. :(

Can someone help me out? :(

Done some extended testing, same problem as before, there is no way to block jail from accessing the host. :(

Can someone help me out? :(
Please post your entire pf.conf. I suspect you have something akin to:
Code:
set skip on lo0
...which needs to be removed in order to filter traffic over the lo0 interface.

You could also create a second loopback interface for jails:

/etc/rc.conf
Code:
cloned_interfaces="lo1"

And then configure the jails to use lo1 instead of lo0.

Attach vnet interfaces to a bridge that connects to the physical interface. This way you can apply filter rules to/from the bridge and keep jails in their own network. With different bridges you can easily apply different rulesets to groups of jails.

Back