Solved Cannot upgrade to FreeBSD 11.X – cannot find the pool (zfs) / ada0 not listed

Hello everyone!

Last week I tried to upgrade from source from 10.3-STABLE to 11.2-STABLE on my laptop but the new kernel (GENERIC) failed to boot.
I thought that it might be safer to upgrade from binary, so I built and installed 10.3-RELEASE in order to get freebsd-update working and then I tried to upgrade to 10.4-RELEASE: it worked perfectly.

After that, I wanted to upgrade to 11.0, then to 11.1, and then to 11.2, to see which kernel from which version fails to boot.
When I tried to boot with kernel 11.0-RELEASE, it failed exactly the same way it did with kernel 11.2-STABLE, so my problem is about FreeBSD 11.

When I try to boot, I get several times the message "Solaris: NOTICE: Cannot find the pool label for 'zroot'", and then a mountroot prompt.
When I type '?' to list the bootable devices, after being stuck for almost one minute, it finally displays only 'da0', which is my cardreader.
Thus, my hard drive (ada0) is not listed there.
If I select the previous kernel (10.4-RELEASE), it successfuly boots, like it did with 10.3-RELEASE and 10.3-STABLE kernels.

My laptop has a BIOS (no EFI), a SATA hard drive with 4 partitions: an UFS partition (ada0s1a) containing /etc/fstab, /boot and GELI keys for ada0s1d, a GELI-encrypted swap partition (ada0s1b.eli), a ZFS GELI-encrypted root partition (ada0s1d.eli hosting my zroot pool), and a Windows NTFS partition (ada0s2).

So FreeBSD 10.X boots successfuly with this configuration, but FreeBSD 11.X kernel don’t ask me for my GELI passphrase and doesn’t seem to find neither my zfs pool nor my hard drive ada0.

Has anybody an idea of what could be the origin of the problem?
Thanks in advance

I also tried to write FreeBSD-11.2-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img to my USB flash memory stick and to boot, and then I can successfuly mount my UFS partition, attach the GELI device and import my zroot pool from the "Live DVD" option.

I've just fixed the problem. It was caused by the following lines in /boot/loader.conf:
Code:
hw.pci.enable_msi="0"
hw.pci.enable_msix="0"
I even can't remember why I put these lines in my loader conf file; so i've just removed them and then FreeBSD 11 is now functional.

Back