Solved cannot start x window

Maybe we misunderstood each other, somewhere. Sorry.

mount -uw / operation not permitted.

This might happen if you have the installer (not a completed installation) in single user mode.

I want to install 14,but can not install pkg.Should I try 13.1?

Last week:

I try to install 14-current,but after reboot,I get errors:all blocks unavailable,disk has I/O errors something like that.And I reinstall 13,the same.

I wonder whether you do have a problem with a disk or related hardware.

Ultimate Boot CD - Download the UBCD near the foot of the page, options to download an ISO for this set of utilities. The Lyra Hosting mirror works (for me):

1647327024286.png

Write the UBCD ISO to CD, or a USB flash drive, then boot from UBCD.

Amongst the options, when you boot UBCD, Parted Magic includes GSmartControl, a S.M.A.R.T.-capable utility. After booting Parted Magic, a Disk Health icon (for GSmartControl):

Disk Health.png

The GSmartControl window will appear something like this, with an option to use self-test features of a disk:

1647327603464.png

thanks bsdduck.
I reinstall 13 and I still cannot make xorg work,still get errors as my first post mentioned.I almost mad:mad:🤔
I want to use freebsd as my daily usage.Anyone knows how to solve it?thanks

Thank you.

unicorn next:
  1. sysrc -x hald_enable
  2. pkg install graphics/drm-kmod
  3. kldload i915kms
Do you see a brief 'flicker' of the screen, when the i915kms kernel module loads?

hald_enable yes

Please, where did you read something about HAL or hald? Can you let us have the address of the page?

(Wherever you read the advice: it's wrong – outdated.)

Also:
  • your /boot/loader.conf might have some peculiarities
  • people sometimes encounter difficulties with SLiM
– however for now, let's take things in small steps.

Reference

sysrc(8)

sysrc kld_list-=hald_enable
Why are you trying to remove hald_enable from kld_list? sysrc -x hald_enable

Code:
     -x       Remove variable(s) from specified file(s).
sysrc(8).

snd_hda_load and sound_load can be removed too. They don't belong in rc.conf (they should go in /boot/loader.conf). Both are loaded by default with a GENERIC kernel and don't need to be explicitly loaded.

Thank you.

unicorn next:
  1. sysrc -x hald_enable
  2. pkg install graphics/drm-kmod
  3. kldload i915kms
Do you see a brief 'flicker' of the screen, when the i915kms kernel module loads?

Please, where did you read something about HAL or hald? Can you let us have the address of the page?

(Wherever you read the advice: it's wrong – outdated.)

Also:
  • your /boot/loader.conf might have some peculiarities
  • people sometimes encounter difficulties with SLiM
– however for now, let's take things in small steps.

Reference

sysrc(8)

I can now run startx and go into TWM.How to use other WM like gnome and xfce?
I don't familiar with TWM,any documentation I can read?

For xfce you don't need startx as it comes with its own startup script. startxfce4
Get your video right then pkg install xfce

After upgrade to 13.1 RC1,I cannot start x again.When run kldload i915kms,there is no fliker any more,
startx cannot work either

Afaik there is a kernel mismatch again for the drm drivers from packages when upgrading from 13 REL to 13.1-RC.

All that you have to do is to remove drm-kmod and pkg autoremove then build drm-kmod from ports.

Back