Cannot print in Okular

I'm using FreeBSd 8.0 + KDE 4.3.4. I can print test page on my HP 4700 color jet. I can print webpages in Firefox. But I cannot print files(pdf, etc) in Okular. Acroread8 is even worse, it detects no printer. Also, KDE's printer configuration doesn't work at all.

There's been some issues with KDE 4.x and CUPS on FreeBSD. They were supposed to be fixed with KDE 4.3.1, but it looks like the problem has cropped up again (using 4.3.2 at home).

My workaround from the KDE 4.2.x days is to install kdegraphics3 from packages, and use KPDF. Things were working well enough with 4.3.1 that I uninstalled kdegraphics3 at home ... and now that I've upgraded KDE, I can't print again. :(

phoenix said:
There's been some issues with KDE 4.x and CUPS on FreeBSD. They were supposed to be fixed with KDE 4.3.1, but it looks like the problem has cropped up again (using 4.3.2 at home).

My workaround from the KDE 4.2.x days is to install kdegraphics3 from packages, and use KPDF. Things were working well enough with 4.3.1 that I uninstalled kdegraphics3 at home ... and now that I've upgraded KDE, I can't print again. :(

Thanks. Yes. I remember that it worked with Kpdf.

Have either of you managed to get KDE4 to print from kde applications without installing the kde3 tool mentioned herein? Sort of sucks not being able to print from kde applications.

thanks,

aorchid said:
Have either of you managed to get KDE4 to print from kde applications without installing the kde3 tool mentioned herein? Sort of sucks not being able to print from kde applications.

thanks,

it works now. thanks/

I am using kde 4.3.5 from ports and cups and the printing problem is obviously not fixed on my machine. Is the printing issue fixed in KDE 4.4.3? If so, will just doing a portsupgrade fix the issue? Is the KDE 4.4.3 ready for production or is it still in testing?

I am wondering if I need to build cups before kde to get it to work correctly. I did from ports x11, then x11/kde4, then cups.

Thanks,

It seems that the 'Printer' application under 'Settings' will not start. It just bounces then dies. I then realized that I had both of the following ports installed and figured that the one that does not mention hal-cups would be preferred:

1. kdeutils-printer-applet-4.3.5_3 (kept)
2. system-config-printer-kde-4.3.5_3 (deinstalled)

I logged in and out and nothing changed. Still no printers in KDE applications and the 'Printer' application, whatever it is, will not start.

thanks,

I fixed the problem with CUPS and KDE 4.
The problem is that KDE would use "CUPS version" of lp* tools (lp, lpq, lprm) that are incompatible with FreeBSD ones.
FreeBSD prefer using lp* tools install in /usr/bin (check your PATH env variable). If u know what are you doing, you could backup lp, lpq and lprm in another place and copy the CUPS version from /usr/local/bin

good luck!

pizzamig said:
I fixed the problem with CUPS and KDE 4.
The problem is that KDE would use "CUPS version" of lp* tools (lp, lpq, lprm) that are incompatible with FreeBSD ones.
FreeBSD prefer using lp* tools install in /usr/bin (check your PATH env variable). If u know what are you doing, you could backup lp, lpq and lprm in another place and copy the CUPS version from /usr/local/bin

good luck!

This is what I do as well. It seems dirty, but it makes programs like Okular print properly through cups. Not sure if it breaks anything else that expects lp* to be the FreeBSD versions.

Thanks for the idea. I have backed up the original files in /usr/bin and made symlinks from /usr/local/bin for the following files:

lp
lpr
lpq
lprm
lpoptions
lppasswd
lpstat
lprsetup.sh

However, that alone along with restarting a KDE program does nothing different. Also, the Print applet in the KDE panel thing still fails to start.

thanks,

The way that I've adopted works to print form KDE applications using a working CUPS configuration.

Your CUPS is correctly configured? Have you printed the CUPS test page? If you run okular from konsole, you could see error messages related the usage of lpr. Also you could check the log of cupsd.

I'm not using the print applet, I had some problem building some depending ports, so I've aborted the installation.

Bye

are you guys talking about printing to a local (usb or parallel) printer? or a networked one (with IP address).

I am interested to get kde to print to a networked printer..but do not know where to start.

I have same problem with print from okular. I'm using FreeBSd 8.0-p3 + KDE 4.4.4.
I can print test page. Print from OpenOffice - ok. But I cannot print files(pdf, etc) in Okular.
Printer - network Laser Jet 1300(lpd://192.168.0.16/lp)

In make.conf:
Code:
WITH_CUPS=YES
CUPS_OVERWRITE_BASE=YES
WITHOUT_LPR=YES

Print under KDE3 works without problem.

@arken

As posted before, kde4 applications suppose to use lp* programs provided by CUPS. On Freebsd, lp* programs provided by the operating system has the precedence, so I suggested on this topic the solution to print with KDE application:

"FreeBSD prefer using lp* tools install in /usr/bin (check your PATH environment variable to be sure). If u know what are you doing, you could backup lp, lpq and lprm in another place and copy the CUPS version from /usr/local/bin"

In this way, I solved this problem.

@beesatmsu
I'm printing using CUPS on a network printer.
We are speaking about printing via CUPS, Common Unix Print System, that support network printer, of course! CUPS is a port and you could use it instead of freebsd lpd system.
Install CUPS and configure it (ask in the right forum section ;-)

Thanks for the tip.
it worked for me under FreeBSD 8.0 i386, kde4-4.4.4_1, cups-1.4.3.

What I did is:

Code:
# mv /usr/bin/lpq /usr/bin/lpq.bak
# mv /usr/bin/lpr /usr/bin/lpr.bak
# mv /usr/bin/lprm /usr/bin/lprm.bak

# ln -s /usr/local/bin/lpq /usr/bin/lpq      
# ln -s /usr/local/bin/lpr /usr/bin/lpr
# ln -s /usr/local/bin/lprm /usr/bin/lprm

Didn't need to restart anything, okular was already launched displaying the PDF I wanted to print.

Back