cannot operate as root in the console

Hi, I've just installed FreeBSD 7.0 on my laptop with KDE 3.5 as Gui.

I have the problem that I cannot log in as root in the console. I have tried the commands 'login root', 'login su', but it won't accept my password. (This problem also occur when I'm using XFCE4 as GUI).

When I'm not working through a GUI I have no problem switching between user and root, which have led me to think that I have made the right upstart configurations.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

alanlarsen-dk said:
I have the problem that I cannot log in as root in the console. I have tried the commands 'login root', 'login su', but it won't accept my password. (This problem also occur when I'm using XFCE4 as GUI).

This console is virtual terminal like kconsole?

alanlarsen-dk said:
When I'm not working through a GUI I have no problem switching between user and root, which have led me to think that I have made the right upstart configurations.

This is mean command line?

Maybe the system default setting forbid root login the gui(I never login gui as root directly, so I don't sure about it).

normally, the GUI restrict root to log on, just allow normal user, you can use "sudo su -" to switch to root under GUI user, or change the configuration of GUI.

BTW, "su -" just allow user who in wheel group which same as root.

Back