Cannot open Afterstep desktop

I am using an Nvidia GP108 (GT1030) non-integrated graphics card. I am able to open Xterm but not to open the Afterstep desktop with the 'xstart' command.
It may be a simple omission in my configuration so I am erring, at this stage, on the side of not showing here my full configuration details, which can follow if necessary.

Bear in mind that I am stuck at the command line & any further info I provide will not be able to be in accordance with forum formatting guidelines.

The Afterstep package has been installed as has an exec line in ~/. initrc & i915kms.ko in /etc/rc.conf.

Can you suggest on this brief insight what might be the cure?

Thanks

I am using an Nvidia GP108 (GT1030) non-integrated graphics card.

& i915kms.ko in /etc/rc.conf.
These 2 lines are contradictory.

do you have the correct nivida-driver installed for your hardware? It's likely the one named "nvidia-driver"
instead of i915kms.ko you should have nivida-modeset.ko in rc.conf

the command is probably "startx" so I'm assuming a typo on xstart
It looks like there are 2 packages named afterstep:
afterstep-2.2.12_7 Stable version of the AfterStep window manager
afterstep1-1.0_5 Window manager originally based on the Bowman NeXTstep clone

Don't know how they get invoked, but I would start with ls -ltr /usr/local/bin | grep -i afterstep to see what the name is and see what happens when you start it manually in the xterm as jmos suggests.

And what happens if you execute /usr/local/bin/afterstep & in that xterm? And what does your ~/.xinitrc look like?
Yes, just a typo. I have used 'startx'
Xterm returns;
Code:
 Afterstep ERROR: Another Windows Manager is running. Aborting

I don't have an ~/.initrc file. To get to this point I have just entered the following at the command line
Code:
 echo "exec /usr/local/bin/afterstep-session" > ~/.initrc

In the event of the above initrc command needing to be replaced how do I get rid of it so as to obviate a potential conflict.

Code:
There is written you don't just have a xterm opened, but a whole Window Manager already running (and maybe that Window Manager started the xterm). You can only have one Window Manager running for your X session, so every start of another one will fail.
Asked again: What is the content of your ~/.xinitrc?
I don't have an ~/.initrc file.
I assumed that was a typo in post #1 and you meant ~/.xinitrc. Anyway: Your post #1 says you have an exec line in there…?
Code:
 echo "exec /usr/local/bin/afterstep-session" > ~/.initrc
Does /usr/local/bin/afterstep-session exist? A fast view in the ports package list doesn't tell me that this exists, instead there is a /usr/local/bin/afterstep provided which raises this Window Manager. (But as I'm not using Afterstep and there are different ways for ports to add things like scripts… maybe).

I thought I would try to reduce everyones' pain in my endeavour, by going to the below post (thread 1 only) that seems to cover every aspect of my desktop configuration saga.

Your responses really inspired me to do so & hopefully covers most of the answers to your helpful questions.

I didn't realize just how much detail is involved but it's the only info I have ever found re FBSD that explains a whole process in such a succinctly logical fashion.

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/howto-setup-xorg-with-nvidias-driver.52311/ (thread 1)

Unfortunately I am still stuck at Xterm & still need more help please. Is the info above (thread 1) still current & reliable? Do I need to make any changes?

Following the guidelines in the process does not produce any EE's & recognizes the Nvidia driver package as 510.60.02 for a "Nvidia-mode set", in lieu of the i915kms.ko code initally & erroneouly I used used in /etc/rc.conf

Thank You

Just to double check, you are booting the system to the console, not into a graphical login?

In the xterm, what do you get when you do:
sudo ps aux | grep -i afterstep

Does it show afterstep running?

If not, then we need to figure out what is actually running.
ps a | grep yourusername
look for executables with "wm" in their name, most window managers seem to have that in the name somewhere.

in your user home directory,
ls -al | grep x

look for a file named .xsession or .xinitrc seeing the contents of both (if both exist) would help

Following the guidelines in the process does not produce any EE's & recognizes the Nvidia driver package as 510.60.02 for a "Nvidia-mode set"
The thread you're referring to is 7 years old. So keep this in mind.

Unfortunately I am still stuck at Xterm & still need more help please.
Look very closely at what you're typing. You've consistently used ~/.initrc, which is wrong. It's ~/.xinitrc.

Unfortunately I am still stuck at Xterm
xterm is probably started together with x11-wm/twm window manager (which is a dependency of META port x11/xorg) by /usr/local/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc when startx is executed and no .xinitrc file with a valid entry for a window manager or desktop environment is present.

Note twm and xterm in /usr/local/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc:
Code:
# start some nice programs
twm &
xclock -geometry 50x50-1+1 &
xterm -geometry 80x50+494+51 &
xterm -geometry 80x20+494-0 &
exec xterm -geometry 80x66+0+0 -name login

dalpets, after logging in users account, please don't execute startx, create (or edit) .xinitrc (as others already mentioned) in the users home directory and set
Code:
exec afterstep
then execute startx.

xterm is probably started together with x11-wm/twm window manager (which is a dependency of META port x11/xorg) by /usr/local/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc when startx is executed and no .xinitrc file with a valid entry for a window manager or desktop environment is present.

Note twm and xterm in /usr/local/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc:
Code:
# start some nice programs
twm &
xclock -geometry 50x50-1+1 &
xterm -geometry 80x50+494+51 &
xterm -geometry 80x20+494-0 &
exec xterm -geometry 80x66+0+0 -name login

dalpets, after logging in users account, please don't execute startx, create (or edit) .xinitrc (as others already mentioned) in the users home directory and set
Code:
exec afterstep
then execute startx.
Thanks. I am now in the desktop after correcting the file header to ~/.xinitrc & removing the code "exec /usr/local/bin/afterstep-/session" & replacing it with your recommended "exec afterstep" expression.

An oddity is that I can only get into the desktop with the command "root/home/user" but not just root or user. In the first case the error reads 'root-Xauth: error in locking authority file/root/serverauth (.22 OR Xauthority).

I am also unable to open any applications on the desktop, save Xterm. Any suggestions how to correct these desktop perceived anomolies?

Back