Cannot mount Volume cd9660

Hello!
If I insert a Data-CD into the CD-RW-Drive, I get a dialog that say:
"Cannot mount volume"
Unable to mount the volume 'xyz'.
Details:
mount_cd9660: /dev/acd0: Operation not permitted.
I'm using Gnome 2.20.1 on FreeBSD 6.3.
I have followed the instractions in http://www.freebsd.org//gnome/docs/faq2.html#q1.
Added gnome_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf.

The user haldaemon was not installed while HAL and DBUS need it, is this a bug? So I have added a haldaemon user.

Now I can mount USB-Flashmemory devices but no CD-ROMs.
What should I do to mount CDs as user?

Did you grant yourself permission to mount said device on /etc/devfs.conf?

Code:
[gonzalo@inferna ~]% grep -v # /etc/devfs.conf
perm    /dev/cd0    0666
perm    /dev/pass0  0666
perm    /dev/xpt0   0666
perm    /dev/mdctl  0666
perm    /dev/md0    0666

gnemmi said:
Did you grant yourself permission to mount said device on /etc/devfs.conf?
Thanks for your post. But it doesn't work, I get the same message box. I have wrote this in /etc/devfs.conf and reboot:
Code:
perm /dev/acd0 0666
Is an "own" setting in devfs.conf needed? Who needs the permission? Me (the user) or the haldaemon?

i got this working through PolicyKit.conf (/usr/local/etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf) and adding proc to /etc/fstab.

check http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/halfaq.html part 2.

i think the devfs.conf permissions stuff is required for cd burning (which u will still need later)

p.s. not to mention you still need hald + dbus in rc.conf

p.p.s if all still fails, atapicam in kernel???

Barnie said:
Is an "own" setting in devfs.conf needed? Who needs the permission? Me (the user) or the haldaemon?

Not really .. you just gave rw perms on /dev/acd0 to everybody (0666) ...

You should use "own" only if you want to set ownership on the device (eg. create a cdrom group, then "own /dev/acd0 root:cdrom", then "perm /dev/acd0 0660", then make yourself and the users you want to members of the cdrom group ...)

Where are you trying to mount /dev/acd0?

Are you aware that the user mounting the device should be the owner of the mounting point (eg. create a ~/mnt/cdrom dir and then try mounting /dev/acd0 on it ... "mount_cd9660 /dev/acd0 ~/mnt/cdrom")?

If it works, you can add something like this to /etc/fstab:

Code:
/dev/acd0       /home/your_user_name/mnt/cdrom cd9660  rw,noauto   0   0

and something like this to your .cshrc:

Code:
alias mcdrom  'mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0 ~/mnt/cdrom && cd ~/mnt/cdrom && ls'
alias ucdrom  'cd ~ && umount ~/mnt/cdrom'

This is the short way .. the longer one is the one mdma pointed out (Policykit).

gnemmi said:
Not really .. you just gave rw perms on /dev/acd0 to everybody (0666) ...
This is good and intended. :)
gnemmi said:
Where are you trying to mount /dev/acd0?
I don't mount anything! I insert the Data-CD, the CD-drive rotates and seconds later I see a message dialog as written in my first post. I think it is an automount from HAL and D-BUS of GDM.

And as said: it works with USB flash devices very well. I plug in the device, and I see seconds later a removabel USB device in the Gnome desktop or Nautilus. Easy and great!
gnemmi said:
Are you aware that the user mounting the device should be the owner of the mounting point (eg. create a ~/mnt/cdrom dir and then try mounting /dev/acd0 on it ... "mount_cd9660 /dev/acd0 ~/mnt/cdrom")?
hem... this is realy complex if I only want to read a Data-CD. :x But I will try it!:)

mdma said:
p.s. not to mention you still need hald + dbus in rc.conf
Yes, hald and dbus is up and runing at boot time.

mdma said:
p.p.s if all still fails, atapicam in kernel???
I have the generic kernel. I haven't changed this. And reading a Data-CD as root is still possible. So it's not a hardware or driver issue... Only a setting.

You have an entry for /dev/acd0 in /etc/fstab. Delete it or comment it out.

The reason you are getting "operation not permitted" rather then "permission denied" which you would get for wrong permissions in /dev/, is that the sysctl variable vfs.usermount is 0.

hald runs as root, and will take care of mounting if there is no entry in /etc/fstab, however, if there is it will call the mount command as the running user.

Back