Cannot login to system

O/S 6.0

I've had to restore a kernel, untar a backup of the /etc directory to the / and now I can not login.

Any suggestions?

Boot to single user mode. After that:
Code:
# fsck
# mount -u /
# mount -a -t ufs
Then you can change the root password.

Well, the prob. is more complex apparently. When I rebooted the system, it did not go past the loader stage => Can't load kernel. At that stage I can't find fsck, looked in bin/ and found nothing.
Did a "boot/GENERIC/kernel-2" for a kernel that I had stored away, the system booted up but at the login prompt it failed to respond.

My suspicion is that the etc/passwd file in the etc/ directory was not installed. Is there a way of restoring the original file, as it has other users on it?

Alternately, I have a dump file of the entire disk but restore apparently is not a command option at this level (i.e. loader level), oddly enough dump is.

Thanks

You can restore password files from your file system dump with restore without restoring entire system. Check restore man page [interactive mode]

You'll need to start from fixit cd or DVD, mount your root, cd to it, and then enter restore in interactive mode..... [I don't remember precisely commands.... I have been using this only twice)

Thanks !
Except that with no access to my machine, I have no man access, Fixit does not provide one either. Anyway, I see your approach. Now how do I mount root from this shell? There is no /etc/fstab available, is there a way of getting the raw disk label from Fixit shell, df -k => nothing since / is not mounted.

A little push start her should get me on my way

Thanks again

ls /dev

something that ends with a will be your root
(either ad0s1a, da0s1a or something like that [it depends on configuration, you may not use labels at all])

You can read manpages online
restore(8)

EDIT:
df only shows mounted partitions

Thanks!
I naively thought this would be smooth sailing.
It is ad0sa1 as it is an EIDE drive. I tried the following, to no avail:

Code:
mount /dev/ad0as1 /mnt
mount /dev/ad0as1
mount /ad0as1 /mnt
mount /ad0as1

I think my problem might be coming from the fact that there is no kernel present, except for the one loaded from the FIXIT disc, I DON'T KNOW!, sublime ignorance on my part.

When I use the kernel from boot/<another location> I have to do so each time I attempt a run. I cannot mv it to the boot/kernel or boot/GENERIC/kernel directory. That maybe I don't know, is part of my problem.??

Is there a way, while in the loader that I can move a kernel to the boot/GENERIC/kernel directory?

Thanks!

Hmm ad0as1 doesn't look right. It's probably ad0s1a. ad0 - first HD, s1 - first slice, a - first partition.

Back