cannot log in my account

Hi there!
On my desktop I tried to install the NTFS-3G for w/r on my NTFS partition. With sysinstall > configure > Install add. distr. sets > select: base; kernels (GENERIC); src.
After adding the sources I tried to log on my account and I cannot: "login failed" and when I tried to log into root acount it goes without asking for "root pasword".

I don't know what to do.
I don't know if my user account still exist and why I can log on root without pasword?

thanks

Did you nuke your existing password file? The root-without-password behaviour points in that direction. If you look in /etc/master.passwd you will probably not find your user account(s) anymore. You should not use sysinstall on existing installations.

hirohitosan said:
I don't know if my user account still exist and why I can log on root without pasword?

Your symptom makes me think, that you screwed you FreeBSD install, because you used sysinstal wrongly.

I think it's best that you reinstall FreeBSD (if you can, and have time) [but don't fallow this blindly] {someone might not agree}

Good news, your files might sill be there

Otherwise you can still fix this (but I think it'll take long time)

Perhaps you have backups?

for Now I can suggest to use fixit disk to analyze what damage did you actually did [If you have physical access to PC]

About the root password: try to log in without entering any

Yet, another reason to have backup. On a related note you can recreate account again, if you do not have backup.

Boot to single user mode, reset root's password. Boot normally, login as root, create your account again.

Unless your home directory was on /usr and the installer did a newfs your files should still be there.

thanks guys! ... so I'll reinstall for I was prepared for something like that.

But if we're here how can I mount/read/write my NTFS partition without damage my whole system

thanks

hirohitosan said:
I did that but failed for cannot find anything in /usr/src

Read the handbook again, the bit about ports. Only the base OS lives in /usr/src. Since fusefs-ntfs isn't part of the base OS (it's a port) you will not find it in /usr/src. And why would you need to? If you install the port the module will be loadable regardless. Just add to /boot/loader.conf: fusefs_enable="YES" as indicated by the message when installing sysutils/fusefs-kmod and it will be loaded next time you boot. It can also be loaded by hand: # kldload fusefs.

This is what I get when trying to install fusefs-ntfs:
Code:
# make install clean
===>  Installing for fusefs-ntfs-2009.4.4
===>   fusefs-ntfs-2009.4.4 depends on file: /usr/local/modules/fuse.ko - not found
===>    Verifying install for /usr/local/modules/fuse.ko in /usr/ports/sysutils/fusefs-kmod
===>  fusefs-kmod-0.3.9.p1.20080208_6 requires the userland sources to be installed. Set SRC_BASE if it is not in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/sysutils/fusefs-kmod.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/sysutils/fusefs-ntfs.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/sysutils/fusefs-ntfs.

you need to get FreeBSD sources, for your version of FreeBSD.

if you know your version of FreeBSD, you can use csup to get them
For example if you have FreeBSD-8-RELEASE

here's my supfile to get sources
src.csup:
Code:
[color="Blue"]#*default host=cvsup.freebsd.org
#*default host=cvsup.free.bsd.lv
*default host=cvsup.lv.freebsd.org[/color]
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=[red]RELENG_8_0[/red]
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
src-all

with this as root run # csup src.csup

Text you need to change I marked red....
For FreeBSD-7-RELEASE with paches tag=RELENG_7_0

where's blue, you pick local mirror, or FreeBSD cvs server

For more info search in FreeBSD documentation, or let me know output of $ uname -a

I prepared the file as suggested and try to run # csup src.csup but it does not start. It's like there is no connectivity. My desktop connect through proxy to IN. I added in /root/.cshrc
Code:
setenv  http_proxy http://the.proxy.server:3128
setenv  ftp_proxy  http://the.proxy.server:3128
and I can install through ports but I cannot ping and csup.
It is because of proxy?
thanks

Yes, I think so
hmmm, well, you can do this differently, insert FreeBSD cd/dvd
mount it

Code:
# cd ~/mnt/[red]7.0-RELEASE[/red]/7.0-RELEASE
# export DESTDIR=/
# ./install.sh

./install.sh will probably show you some message
you need to run ./install.sh all, or something like that, I don't remember. I think if you run ./install.sh it will give a tip.

check this very useful topic:
http://www.daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=1538

thanks killasmurf86. I'll do this monday for now I'm not at my desktop. I connect through ssh. I have FreeBSD 8.0 so I'll use that CD, no?

you can download sources from fech (see last post in that thread)

Also you need same sources as your system version.

I wanted to point out, that you don't need boot from CD, you can do it as root over ssh, no problem

thanks guys! here's what I did: I connected through ftp to ftp.FreeBSD.org and get 8.0-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso, mount iso file in /mnt/iso and install src all from there.
I installed fusefs-ntfs and mount -t ntfs /dev/ad7s1 /mnt/windows/ and it works just fine!!!
I just have a question before making a mistake. Can I write on NTFS volume?

and another ... when I try to run mc I got
Code:
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
                                >
and in my home directory I have a file mc.core. How can I make mc to work again?
thanks

hirohitosan said:
here's what I did: I connected through ftp to ftp.FreeBSD.org and get 8.0-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso, mount iso file in /mnt/iso and install src all from there.
Or you could've just got the source alone. Would've been 3 or 4 times faster.

hirohitosan said:
Can I write on NTFS volume?
With fusefs-ntfs, yes, you're supposed to be able to mount a volume in read-write mode.

hirohitosan said:
when I try to run mc I got
Code:
                                >
and in my home directory I have a file mc.core. How can I make mc to work again?
It's the core dump -- a snapshot of the program's memory when it caused the seg fault. If you're not going to debug it, just remove the file.
As for the problem itself, I used to get a seg fault with a specific command (don't remember which one), but not on startup.
In your case, I have no idea. Try rebuilding it and make sure you have all the appropriate libraries.

did you load kernel module for fusefs-ntfs? I don't know what is name of module (i don't use this fuse...), but look at /boot/modules.

you nead to load this module, before you use fuse ntfs

I have kernel module in ls /usr/local/modules/ and it was loaded when I reboot

and what can I do with my mc? I tried
Code:
cd /usr/ports/misc/mc-light/
#make deinstall
#make install clean
but I still got that
Code:
                                >
and just on my user account. In root mc works fine!

aaaaaaaa? Does it install modules there? I'm confused now...
I thought that kernel modules are only installed to /boot/modules

show output of # ls /boot/modules

base system kernel modules are in /boot/kernel
3rd party modules (e.g. nvidia.ko) are in /boot/modules

killasmurf86 said:
show output of # ls /boot/modules
Code:
# ls -al /boot/modules/
total 4
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel   512 Nov 21 16:29 .
drwxr-xr-x  7 root  wheel  1024 Nov 27 18:58 ..
nothing there

Code:
$ cd /usr/ports/sysutils/fusefs-ntfs
$ make deinstall clean
$ make install clean
Ok, let's make 100% you installed module....

and then check /boot/kernel again...
there must be new module

you can load this module with kldload as root (specify only module namd without .ko)

If there's still no module
do the same for sysutils/fusefs-kmod

Back