Cannot change brightness on laptop (FreeBSD 13.1)

I just installed FreeBSD 13.1 AMD64 on a laptop with an Intel CPU and Intel GMA integrated graphics. I cannot change the backlight on the LCD no matter what I try.

I first tried to load acpi_video using kldload acpi_video which did not post any error messages. However, it still wouldn't let me change the brightness with the appropriate keys on the keyboard (Not even while holding down the Fn key).

Then I tried sysctl hw.acpi.video.lcd.active along with all the other commands starting with sysctl hw.acpi.video.lcd (.levels, .brightness, .fullpower and .economy). All of them resulted in sysctl telling me "sysctl: unknown oid '<inputted oid>'"

Then I installed pkg install graphics/intel-backlight. After installation, I tried running any and all commands beginning with backlight but everytime I would receive the error: "backlight: cannot open /dev/backlight/backlight0: No such file or directory"

After that, I tried installing xbacklight. executing xbacklight always returns me the error "RANDR Query Version returned error -1" outside of Xorg. Using the xbacklight command in Xorg (more specifically Xfce that I'm currently using.), the message "No outputs have backlight property" is returned.

Well, that's everything I tried. Don't know any other possible solution. Thank you in advance for helping me!

Intel GMA integrated graphics
Which one exactly? Execute pciconf -lv | grep -B3 display, post output.

On newer hardware, for the display backlight to work, provided the Intel GPU is supported, a DRM kernel module must be installed and loaded.

Is graphics/drm-kmod installed and the i915 driver properly enabled, the user in the "video" group (see pkg info -D drm-510-kmod)? If it is, are there any "drm" error messages (see dmesg(8)).

For older hardware, besides acpi_video, there are brand specific hotkeys or OEM driver:
Code:
/boot/kernel/acpi_asus.ko
/boot/kernel/acpi_asus_wmi.ko
/boot/kernel/acpi_fujitsu.ko
/boot/kernel/acpi_hp.ko
/boot/kernel/acpi_ibm.ko
/boot/kernel/acpi_panasonic.ko
/boot/kernel/acpi_sony.ko
/boot/kernel/acpi_toshiba.ko
For detailed information see the corresponding driver manual.

The command pciconf -lv | grep -B3 display tells me that the GPU is a "Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller". I successfully installed drm-kmod and pkg info -D drm-510-kmod reports no errors. The line kld_list="i915.kms" is currently present in /etc/rc.conf. dmesg reports a lot so there might be something I've missed, but I do spot "[drm] Unable to create a private tmpfs mount, hugepage support will be disabled(-19)", and "[drm] Got stolen memory base 0x3f800000, size 0x800000". Neither command kldload acpi_video nor kldload acpi_fujitsu results in any error being displayed (except the fact that they're already loaded or in kernel, of course). The command sysctl hw.acpi.fujitsu.lcd_brightness returns me "sysctl: unknown oid 'hw.acpi.fujitsu.lcd_brightness'". All the available commands beginning with sysctl hw.acpi.video.lcd. still return the message "sysctl: unknown oid '<inputted oid>'".

After the i915 driver is loaded, is there a backlight device node created? Check ls /dev/backlight.

The command sysctl hw.acpi.fujitsu.lcd_brightness returns me "sysctl: unknown oid 'hw.acpi.fujitsu.lcd_brightness'". All the available commands beginning with sysctl hw.acpi.video.lcd. still return the message "sysctl: unknown oid '<inputted oid>'".
There must not necessarily be a sysctl(8) oid for brightness. I have a AMD 5700U integrated "Lucienne" GPU, which doesn't show those oids either. The amdgpu driver provided by graphics/drm-510-kmod, when loaded, creates a backlight device node, which can be configure with backlight(8).

If on your system no backlight device node is created then I'm out of ideas.

Not 100% sure about that, may be a number is missing behind 'lcd' in your sysctl commands.
Try sysctl -a | grep lcd and watch the output.

On my machine I see this:
Code:
# sysctl -a | grep lcd
hw.acpi.video.lcd0.levels: 100 100 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100
hw.acpi.video.lcd0.economy: 30
hw.acpi.video.lcd0.fullpower: 30
hw.acpi.video.lcd0.brightness: 30
hw.acpi.video.lcd0.active: 0

To change brightness I can use sysctl hw.acpi.video.lcd0.brightness=55

I tried inputting ls /dev/backlight before and after loading the i915 driver, but the directory is non-existent. Executing the command sysctl -a | grep lcd doesn't result in any output; obviously resulting in the "unknown oid" error when trying sysctl hw.acpi.video.lcd0.brightness=55.

Anyway, I wrote the lines:
kld_list="i915kms"
kld_list="acpi_video"
in the /etc/rc.conf file. Shouldn't these drivers autoload whenever I start my machine then, or am I just mistaken? They work fine when I input the kldload commands to load them after booting, however. Probably not relevant to the matter at hand, but I wanted to know regardless.

I tried inputting ls /dev/backlight before and after loading the i915 driver, but the directory is non-existent. Executing the command sysctl -a | grep lcd doesn't result in any output; obviously resulting in the "unknown oid" error when trying sysctl hw.acpi.video.lcd0.brightness=55.

Anyway, I wrote the lines:
kld_list="i915kms"
kld_list="acpi_video"
in the /etc/rc.conf file. Shouldn't these drivers autoload whenever I start my machine then, or am I just mistaken? They work fine when I input the kldload commands to load them after booting, however. Probably not relevant to the matter at hand, but I wanted to know regardless.

You need to write it like this:
Code:
kld_list="i915kms acpi_video"

The modules are loaded. I checked with kldstat. Also, thank you cracauer@! The modules load automatically on startup every time now! In any case, I'm starting to wonder whether my graphics controller is actually supported by FreeBSD at all. Is there any way to really know for sure?

The command pciconf -lv | grep -B3 display tells me that the GPU is a "Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller". I successfully installed drm-kmod and pkg info -D drm-510-kmod reports no errors. The line kld_list="i915.kms" is currently present in /etc/rc.conf.

OK.

Neither command kldload acpi_video nor kldload acpi_fujitsu results in any error being displayed (except the fact that they're already loaded or in kernel, of course).

Both of those need to be loaded before or while booting from /boot/loader.conf - refer mans acpi_video(4) and acpi_fujitsu(4).

Try the more inclusive way of checking sysctls: sysctl -a | grep whatever where whatever is video or lcd or bright or fujitsu ...

The command sysctl hw.acpi.fujitsu.lcd_brightness returns me "sysctl: unknown oid 'hw.acpi.fujitsu.lcd_brightness'". All the available commands beginning with sysctl hw.acpi.video.lcd. still return the message "sysctl: unknown oid '<inputted oid>'".

I suspect because of having kldload'd after boot.

You may need to use devd.conf and a script to map brightness keys, but first see if the fujitsu or video modules will work as is.

Also, use apropos(1) to hunt for manual pages .. e.g. that intel-backlight pkg installs intel_backlight(1), note underscore not dash.

Back