IPFW Can you use change_rules.sh without tmux?

I stumbled upon recommendations to use /usr/share/examples/ipfw/change_rules.sh quite often and ipfw(8)'s manual page mentions the script as well.

I always SSH into my server as a normal user and su to the root user and then tried the script a few times over a few months. It never worked as intended. The SSH connection became unresponsive and due to inexperience I just thought the script is old and broken and I didn't bother as my server is colocated with my washing machine in the basement and I could quickly correct my firewalling mistakes.

Anyway, thanks to this forum my skill level has increased and now I know why the script didn't work for me and today I used
tmux to keep the session alive and thus the script running and it worked beautifully.

So my question is: how is change_rules.sh supposed to keep running without tmux or something similar? SSH always becomes unresponsive when I change firewall rules, resulting in the session (including change_rules.sh) being terminated. Am I doing things differently as everyone else?

Back