can /var/db/freebsd-update/ be safely deleted?

A

Anonymous

Hi,

On my FreeBSD 8.2 system the directory /var/db/freebsd-update/ has grown up to 469 MByte. According to FREEBSD-UPDATE(8), this is the
Default location where freebsd-update stores temporary files and downloaded updates.

My preferred understanding of this is, that I may safely delete this directory, after I verified that the last freebsd-update is working well. Is this correct?

Best regards

Rolf

Hi, it seems that there is no problem with it if updates were successful. According to the other users opinions, You may have only one problem - with rollback. Otherwise, there should not be any problems. I will give You some links to webpages where You can find some more informations/answers on this topic; On one of my computers running FreeBSD 8.1 (for typical desktop use, updates were done by using freebsd-update(8) utility), /var partition is filled to about 13%. There is already four patches for this release, right? So I think it is on such low level because I am using cleanvar_enable option (in /etc/rc.conf file). Best regards!

Perfect.

I did remove the contents of the directory /var/db/freebsd-update, and I left the empty directory in place. Then I verified that the command "freebsd-update fetch" is still working, and still it is. Without surprise it reported that there are no updates available, and as a matter of fact, it populated said directory with some small maintenance files.

So, my conclusion is, that said directory should not be deleted, but may safely be emptied.

@francis, many thanks for your helpful response.

Best regards

Rolf

Back