Can somebody help me installing the Xorg?

I'm just a newbie trying my first FreeBSD 8.0 installation. I did as in the handbook guides but everytime I try with 'startx', a very ugly window manager appears and the display is full of random colors :( I think there's something wrong with my xorg configurations. I have a Dell Vostro 1088 with ATI Mobility Radeon 4300.
Really want to use BSD and really really need your helps.
Thanks.

Does the "very ugly window manager" look like this by any chance?
You might want to create a ~/.xinitrc file that executes the window manager of your choice, instead of the default.

Thanks to you all.
Yes,my desktop is just like the window manager in your picture (I guess so) but it's even worse. I can't do anything with mouse and windows. I think there must be something wrong with my card (?). I tried installing KDE yesterday but when I type 'startkde' it didn't work ("Command not found") :( Should I try with Gnome?

If you installed KDE try to start it with KDM. This is from FreeBSD Handbook :
To enable kdm, the ttyv8 entry in /etc/ttys has to be adapted. The line should look as follows:
For KDE3:
Code:
ttyv8 "/usr/local/bin/kdm -nodaemon" xterm on secure
For KDE4:
Code:
ttyv8 "/usr/local/kde4/bin/kdm -nodaemon" xterm on secure
If you want to start KDE with startx anyway follow this instruction from the Handbook:
After KDE has been installed, the X server must be told to launch this application instead of the default window manager. This is accomplished by editing the .xinitrc file:
For KDE3:
$ echo "exec startkde" > ~/.xinitrc
For KDE4:
$ echo "exec /usr/local/kde4/bin/startkde" > ~/.xinitrc
Now, whenever the X Window System is invoked with startx, KDE will be the desktop.

No matter how I tried with both KDE and Gnome, after "startx" there's just a black screen with many colorful dots and no mouse. It hangs there and I have to go back and press Ctrl+C.
I guess I haven't do right with xorg.conf file, I don't know much about graphic card and display to config it correctly.

My xorg.conf file has:

Code:
Section "Monitor"
   Indentifier   "Monitor0"
   VendorName    "SEC"
   ModelName     "5441"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
   Indentifier   "Screen0"
   Device        "Card0"
   Monitor       "Monitor0"
   SubSection    "Display"
      Viewport   0 0
      Depth      1
   EndSubSection
   SubSection    "Display"
      Viewport   0 0
      Depth      24
   EndSubSection
EndSection

If problems I usually try to set resolution in SubSection "Display".
Your resolution seems to be 1366×768 (SEC5441).
I would edit SubSection "Display" where depth is 24 and remove all the other with depth 1, 4 .. etc so it would be only one:
Code:
Subsection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "1366×768"
EndSubSection
Did you try KDM or only startx?
Also what driver do you use (Section "Device")?

zeiz said:
If problems I usually try to set resolution in SubSection "Display".
Your resolution seems to be 1366×768 (SEC5441).
I would edit SubSection "Display" where depth is 24 and remove all the other with depth 1, 4 .. etc so it would be only one:
Code:
Subsection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "1366×768"
EndSubSection
Did you try KDM or only startx?
Also what driver do you use (Section "Device")?

Thanks zeiz!
I tried both startx (after disabled xorg.conf) and kdm but it was like before.
My card is ATI Mobility Radeon 4300. On http://www.ati.com there's a driver of this card for Linux, I tried it but nothing happened. Is there a open source driver for it?
I also tried with PC-BSD, it could boot into KDE, and let me choose the resolution for my display, but 1366x768 didn't work, only 1024x768 did.
I'll do again with your suggests :) hopefully
I'm now a student of Computer Science in Vietnam and interested in FreeBSD OS, but I can't find any Vietnamese forum about FreeBSD. So I tried with my not-good English in this forum.
So amazed with your helps! Thanks all!

The open source driver is installed with the rest of Xorg. It's part of the xf86-video-ati port. There is also the radeonhd driver which you could try, though I'm not sure it will do much good. /var/log/Xorg.0.log would be really helpful. You can dump it to a pastebin site by installing curl from ports/packages and then running:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | curl -F 'sprunge=<-' [url]http://sprunge.us[/url]

Back