Solved Can ping but not connect to https://freebsd.org

Good day fellow journeymen, I am having an issue that I simply can't get my brain around so am seeking an assist. I am new to FreeBSD and do understand that support for all issues is not a given, even more so that this is probably something I have done on install. If this is the wrong forum please do feel free to point me at the right place.

FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE-p3 GENERIC running on a home built pc that I use to test stuff.

I have one very odd issue.

I can't connect to FreeBSD.org

I am writing this from within Firefox 75, as retrieved by pkg. If I click on the home tab at the top of the page I get Server not found. Also one of my banks is available to me and one isn't. It's not browser related as the, ostensibly, same browser is working fine on a Linux box. Don't read anything into the Linux box, I am not into bashing OSs. I can ping -c3 but no browser, even elinks can connect. Using my tablet over the same network therefore same ISP I can connect to FreeBSD.org.

Firefox returns Server Not Found
Elinks returns No route to host

I come to the forums cap in hand because I am confused since the more I look at this the more I see FreeBSD not wanting to allow connection to it's own home.

I retired as a military systems analyst in 2000, in mid 90s I was fluent in AIX having migrated from God's Chosen Operating System (GCOS6) and am more than happy working with the command line.

If I have missed something obvious in my set up, please be gentle and advise which log you'd like to see to assist this knackered old war horse.

Check your DNS settings. Double check the DNS info in /etc/resolv.conf. Make sure those are correctly set up. Also check if you have a firewall running that may be blocking some (but not all) traffic.

Check your DNS settings. Double check the DNS info in /etc/resolv.conf. Make sure those are correctly set up. Also check if you have a firewall running that may be blocking some (but not all) traffic.

And the answer was a typo in /etc/resolv.conf.

Many thanks

Back