Other Can NTFS-3G corrupt the Master Boot Record (MBR) or the partition table?

I would like to share the following FAQ (the www.tuxera.com).
Obviously, it is an invitation to consider it an open-debate for those who interested and use ntfs formatting drives.
Can NTFS-3G corrupt the Master Boot Record (MBR) or the partition table?
Both the MBR and the partition table are outside of the NTFS disk area. This means that those disk areas are not visible and not accessible to the driver. Moreover NTFS-3G doesn’t need either information to function. It doesn’t read, write or modify any of them. In fact, the operating system doesn’t even let NTFS-3G to access those disk areas.The MBR and the partition table are typically modified (corrupted) by boot managers, partitioners, security software, recovery software, viruses and other malwares, or some hardware fault.

-boot managers (FreeBSD Handbook; cap. 12)
-partitioners (differences between gpart and Linux GParted)
-security software (https://www.freebsd.org/security/)
-recovery software (for those who use recovery software and have observed how, when lauched, some of them change the permissions)
-hardware fault (related to the FreeBSD hardware fault policies).

Have you a nice day.
Bye !

Not sure if I see this topic's point correctly, but storage works using drivers/layers on top of one another. Filesystem is one of those layers and it's up to the Administrator to define which exactly the underlying layer would be. My point being: you choose whether to use partitions, GEOM layers, RAW devices, under your filesystems. Unless you force it to use the wrong layer (i.e. forcing it to mount RAW device, instead of the correct partition, if that is even possible), I could not think of a way for a filesystem to corrupt data outside of its assigned layer.

In theory, is NTFS-3g capable of doing anything it wants? Yes, because it runs as root. It would be possible to add code to the NTFS mount command to transmit something over a modem, or blink the screen, or corrupt the partition table. Nobody in their right mind would do that. (Except people who get their salary from Facebook, but those are not in their right mind.)

In practice, is NTFS-3g going to modify anything other than the "disk" assigned to it (which is in most cases a partition)? No. Because they way it works is: It opens the disk device, and then reads and writes within it only.

All your other questions (about boot managers, partitioners, ...): Think about how they work, and ask yourself what they will do.

Back