can not mknod

Hello,

I need to create a device node. The standard make directory and make node commands are not not working.

Code:
$ su
Password:
laptop# cd /dev
laptop# mkdir dri
mkdir: dri: Operation not supported

I am surprised that root can not perform this operation. Does root have to use a configuration file for this operation?

Thanks for that info

Mr. DutchDaemon,

I appreciate the work you are doing here. I apologize for the improper format. I just realized that you edited my post manually. I thought it was automated.

I will read the man pages you referenced.

regards,

Mike

devfs not working properly

The devfs is not generating the appropriate node /dev/dri/card0. Can the node /dev/dri/card0 be manually generated in FreeBSD? I am beginning to think I am going to have to live with the errors or revert to a working configuration.

dri gpu compatibility

Adam,

Thanks. I am sure the card supports dri as it works fine on linux.

Here is the linux Xorg.0.log:

Code:
(II) CHROME(0): - Blanked
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID PCI:1:0:0
drmOpenDevice: open result is 10, (OK)
drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 10
drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports pci:0000:01:00.0
(II) [drm] loaded kernel module for "via" driver.
(II) [drm] DRM interface version 1.3
(II) [drm] DRM open master succeeded.

mroussin51 said:
Adam,

Thanks. I am sure the card supports dri as it works fine on linux.

But this isn't linux, now is it? What hardware drivers support on Linux has no bearing on what it does on FreeBSD.

What's the output of dmesg | grep drm? Clearly the Chrome DDX thinks the via kernel module should support direct rendering, and tells Xorg to load the kernel module. That doesn't mean that the kernel module actually supports your GPU on FreeBSD.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/drm/

As you can see, the via DRM driver hasn't seen any serious updates in quite a while. I suggest taking a look at the PCI IDs supported by the via kernel module and see if yours is listed.

Adam

Done

Adam,

Thanks for the advise.

On v. 8.2 the pattern drm was not found in dmesg. I upgraded to 9 and the drm module loaded but the node /dev/dri/card0 failed to exist. Since then the laptop has been dismantled due to a failure. I got 8 years of service and resurrected it a number of times. This time it's passing on to the afterlife and I am getting a new one.

regards,

Mike

Back