Can not log into gnome since upgrade to 9.0

Hi everybody :)

Yesterday I upgrade my FreeBSD 8.1 laptop to 9.0 (using the FreeBSD processus http://www.freebsd.org/releases/9.0R/installation.html)
Everything was OK, also userland rebuild.

But now, I can not log on Gnome.
I enter my password in the GDM screen, then after a black screen I come back to GDM :(

In the /var/log/messages I can see a seahorge-agent crash :
Code:
pid 3357 (seahorse-agent), uid 1001: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)

In the ~/.xsession-errors I can see 'usual' warning of gnome-keyring and no particular clue about the crash
Code:
WARNING ** : Unable to allocate secure memory from gnome-keyring.
WARNING ** : Proceeding using insecure memory for password fields.
No protocol specified
GPG_AGENT_INFO=/var/tmp/seahorse-yjj86E/S.gpg-agent:3357:1; export GPG_AGENT_INFO

I tried to reinstall seahorse and seahorse-plugins.
I tried to startx by myself and then my old desktop appears but without appbar, menu, ... and with a wrong font (all characters are little squares).

Thanks for help.

it's done and it's OK.
Thanks again wblock@.

The portmaster 'rebuild all' was the solution.
Better than my own rebuild (without rtfm) with portupgrade.

Just for info.
During this full ports upgrade with portmaster :
Some ports were not ok (libxul - vulnerability, java - need manuel download, and some others like java depends), OK portmaster told me that at the end.

Gnome2 and xorg were not re-installed after the portmaster rebuild all with no warning or error at the end.
Way was easy to install them again, then everything were OK (for the desktop, login with gdm).

since my upgrade 8.1>9.0, I have an another problem with wifi.
Strange. I know how to up it but it's only after sending a second time the wpa_suppliant command.
I'm looking for what...

There's one thing you could have done after the OS upgrade that would have saved you from a lot of trouble. It's installing the misc/compat8x port that installs the necessary shared libraries for programs that are compiled on FreeBSD 8.X and lets them continue to work on FreeBSD 9 without a recompile. You could have then recompiled the installed ports bit by bit instead of recompiling everything in one go.

thanks for this tip kpa.

For my wifi problem I've simply installed wifimgr (a GUI to manage wifi) and now everything is OK.

I have a similar problem.
I installed FreeBSD 9.1 AMD-64, X, and gnome2. It worked without any problems that I was aware of except for two.

The webcam was not recognized by Cheese and with the /etc/fstab file correctly amended (proc added) along with rc.conf amended by inserting gdm_enable = "YES" and gnome_enable = "YES" when booting into FreeBSD I no longer had the opportunity to login to root while booting up. This was two days ago.

When I woke up yesterday morning I was no longer able to login to root in the xterm window of gnome. I no longer had the option to su into root that I had the day before. When first set it up that option existed. I wanted to edit rc.conf so that FreeBSD would give me the option to start or not to start the gnome desktop.

The two ways I have thought to remediate this issue is
1)reinstall FreeBSD 9.1 and start from square 1 (much less desirable)
2)Boot into my system using the install CD and choosing the liveCD option and then mounting and editing the appropriate files on the hd.

I have done a bit of 2 but the problem I am encountering is that I do not know how to successfully mount the partitions on the HD to edit the relevant files. My question is, "How do I mount ada0?" Every attempt I have made has been unsuccessful.

Another question I have is there another simple way to resolve the issue. The issue is not being to login to root with either the su option or at the initial prompt.

Do not put spaces in rc.conf assignments. They are not ignored.

Wrong:
Code:
gdm_enable = "YES"
gnome_enable = "YES"

Right:
Code:
gdm_enable="YES"
gnome_enable="YES"

To edit files on a system that won't boot into normal mode, use the boot menu to select Single User Mode. Mount all partitions and files can be edited:
Code:
# mount -u /
# mount -a

Check /etc/fstab. An error in there can prevent the system from booting.

When done, use exit or ctrl-D to boot into normal mode.

What am I doing wrong?

In the /root directory I have the file .xinitrc with the following line of code
Code:
/usr/local/bin/gnome-session
Now what I have expected is that when I type in # startx the system should go right into the gnome2 window manager. It doesn't.

I have chosen this mode of loading a window manager so that I can quickly and easily change the line in .xinitrc appropriately so that any particular flavor of window manager can be chosen (i.e. KDE4, xfce4, etc.)

Don't run X as root. Create a normal user and use that for everything you do. When you need root access, use su(1).

I don't use Gnome so can't advise on how to start it manually.

Back