Solved Can install from USB but not boot normally from USB

I have been setting up another computer to build packages. I have been able to boot the installer from the memstick image on a USB stick without trouble. I then install to another USB stick. I have tried these partitioning schemes:
1. match USB installer by adding a GPT layout with EFI, Freebsd-boot, system , and swap
2. automatic UFS partitioning with GPT layout
3. automatic UFS partitioning with MBR layout

Upon trying to boot the installed system from USB I am met with several different types of errors:
1. BTX halted (I cannot get back to this at the moment)
2. Nothing (flash and back to BIOS from "boot override")
3. Message to insert a correct boot disk and press any key (nothing happens when pressing a key)

I have tried a few things to fix this:
1. switch compatibility support module and CSM disk options in BIOS and back
2. switch disk controller to RAID and back(should not affect USB but does make slight changes)
3. update BIOS to latest version

What I do know: this must be possible because the USB installer boots fine. What is the difference between the installer and an installed system?

edit: I have also tried this with no difference:
kern.cam.boot_delay=10000
kern.cam.scsi_delay=10000

edit: this was with the 12/13 AMD64 CURRENT memstick image. I tried a known good FreeBSD 11 image and it almost worked on the first try. Just needed to change the da1 to da0 in the fstab. The bad image did not boot on another system either. I am now source upgrading FreeBSD 11 to 12-CURRENT.

edit 2: all available 12-CURRENT amd64 images do not boot from USB. The 12/13, 12/20, 12,27, and 1/3 image all fail.

Back