Solved Can I use pkg while keeping an older version of nvidia-driver?

I use x11/nvidia-driver-340, installed from ports, because I have an older video card that the default x11/nvidia-driver no longer supports. As long as I install everything from ports, it works fine, so apparently all the ports tools understand that the older version handles that dependency.

But today I thought I'd use 'pkg upgrade' on a couple of packages that take a very long time to build, and it wanted to install nvidia-driver along with the package I specified. Is there a way to tell pkg to be happy with the version of nvidia-driver I already have? Or am I making a mistake by trying to mix ports and packages this way, and should stop that? Thanks.

Just for my own understanding, I also use nvidia-driver-340 (although mine was installed from pkg, not ports).

I have run pkg upgrade, and even though nvidia-driver (a newer driver) has been available for some time, pkg upgrade had not touched it.

I have assumed that from pkg's perspective nvidia-driver and nvidia-driver-340 are separate packages - that pkg doesn't consider (the newer) nvidia-driver to be an update nvidia-driver-340.

Is that an incorrect assumption?

I have assumed that from pkg's perspective nvidia-driver and nvidia-driver-340 are separate packages - that pkg doesn't consider (the newer) nvidia-driver to be an update nvidia-driver-340.
You assumed correctly.

You will need to tell pkg to lock the port
Code:
pkg lock "name of package to lock"
This will stop pkg from upgrading it.

jda
Will this tell pkg to completely ignore the package or simply inform it that the package is "masked" and should not be calculated during upgrades? I know that the latter would cause pkg to print errors while calculating install/upgrade transactions.

pkg lock will prevent any modification of the locked package, including blocking any operation that would modify that package. please see pkg-lock(8) for details.

Back