Solved Can I recycle /usr/obj for creating release, or utility DVD?

Hi,
I'm trying to develop a FreeBSD DOCS production system. There are a lot of moving pieces,
during my R & D. I've come quite a way with it. But needed to perform an upgrade, and while world, and kernel went quite well. Ports could have been better. So my question is; since I have a perfect world, and kernel. It seems that I should be easily able to recycle the /usr/obj that's in place. To generate a release, and or a utility DVD. But after reading reams of information on release(7), and other related man pages, as well as the appropriate developer, and related FreeBSD documentation. I now find myself more confused, than enlightened.

Any thoughts, or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

--Chris

Generally speaking reading broadens one's horizons.

Sometimes people say that they have read too much. Those should only read that amount, what they can digest at a time (and continue thereafter).

If you read manuals for a certain task, stop reading when you know what to do next. And do it right now!

Now if you task is: Can I safely delete /usr/obj? Read the handbook and then do it.
If your task is: Do I need /usr/obj? Read about how to build it, and then do it.

If you are going to make up your mind, if you should keep a built /usr/obj then you enter the spheres of habits and traits. While some are proud to gather all what they have, others have fun to be a minimalist. ;)

Allow yourself errors when being in a stage of learning. They might be first annoying, but in hindsight they make up your experience. I.e. if you are going to build several kernels, you wont want to erase your built world before building the next kernel.

You asked for any thoughts, didn't you? :)

You asked for any thoughts, didn't you? :)
Sure. I did. :)
But I guess the only answer is to simply perform a dump(7), and find the answer on my own. I had just hoped someone else had already performed such a task, and save me the time/effort of needing to experiment to find tha answer myself. That's what forums/mailing-lists are for, right? :)

Thanks for taking the time to reply, getopt .

--Chris

Sure. I did. :)
But I guess the only answer is to simply perform a dump(7), and find the answer on my own. I had just hoped someone else had already performed such a task, and save me the time/effort of needing to experiment to find tha answer myself. That's what forums/mailing-lists are for, right? :)

Thanks for taking the time to reply, getopt .

--Chris
nwhitehorn@ thoughtfully answered my question on the FreeBSD mailing lists;
release(7) will do exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

--Chris

Back