Can get off of a bad Boot Environment - solved

Lenovo T520

I have freebsd installed on a SSD (not that it matters), using zfs and Boot Environments (BE).

I created a test BE, called TEST. changed a variable to test it out, just in case. It locks the system up as soon as I hit enter at the boot menu.

Been tinkering with option 2, and the ESC key to drop to an emergency shell. I can set/unset every variable, except the one I need. I can change every ENV setting to point to a safe BE.

The entry I am unable to edit

zfs_be_active=zfs:<be>/ROOT/TEST

If I change everything I need to change, but typing "boot", it uses the bad BE.

If I reboot to try and get to a good BE, all edits are lost.

Not sure how to make changes permanent through a reboot, or force the active_be to change.

Any tricks, tips, pointers, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You’re unable to use the boot menu to select your other boot environment?

The sysutils/beadm tool is the easiest way to durably (as in survives reboots) switch environments; basically it is setting the zpool(8) bootfs property. You want to make sure you don’t have a vfs.root.mountfrom set in /boot/loader.conf(5), and your BEs should (in general) be set to canmount=noauto. Using beadm(1) automates this process.

Edit: fix loader variable name.

You're going at this the wrong way, you don't need to change the variable you mentioned.

What you need to change / set is currdev and vfs.root.mountfrom.

For example, when I started with a rescue CD and wanted to boot my main system (installed on ZFS on the second HD) I used this (on the bootloader 'ok' prompt):
Code:
set currdev="disk1p2"
set vfs.root.mountfrom="zfs:zroot"

(edit): you can also refer to the lsdev menu command to identify the available devices and ZFS pools.

you got me very close. close enough to unscrew my system,

Followed your suggestions. it would still lock up.

Found the ENV setting I had entered, which was the cause of the lockup. "unset" it, and was able to get to a point I could change BE's

Thank you.

Back