Solved can freeBSD 12rc1 upgrade to freeBSD 12RC2 with freebsd-update?

sudo freebsd-update upgrade -r 12.0-RC2
Password:
src component not installed, skipped
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 2 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 12.0-RC1 from update1.freebsd.org... done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Inspecting system... done.

The following components of FreeBSD seem to be installed:
kernel/generic world/base world/doc

The following components of FreeBSD do not seem to be installed:
kernel/generic-dbg world/base-dbg world/lib32 world/lib32-dbg

Does this look reasonable (y/n)? y

Fetching metadata signature for 12.0-RC2 from update1.freebsd.org... failed.
Fetching metadata signature for 12.0-RC2 from update4.freebsd.org... failed.
No mirrors remaining, giving up.

Yes you can update but I believe you are jumping the gun.
RC2 has not been announced yet.
Even if the files are in place they need time to migrate everything. Then they announce.

I've been updating/testing FreeBSD-12* from Beta3 to RC3 now, with no issues. Wonder now, if I should upgrade (jump) my stable FreeBSD from 11.2 to 12-RELEASE when it's ready or just do fresh 12-RELEASE installation

That depends, if the system was originally installed with 11 it should be fine to upgrade. If it was originally an older version a reinstall might be useful. Especially if you use ZFS as 12 now has bectl(8) in the base.

Yes Sir, update/upgrade from 11.2 to 12.0-RC3 worked just fine. Did a quick basic install of 11.2-RELEASE, on another machine, and then upgrade to 12.0-RC3, just for test. One application pkg, the “iocage” that I like to use, was missing in the 12.0-RC3 pkg repository, but it was/is in /usr/ports, thus “make install clean” took care of that. So, I’m ready for the upgrade to 12.0-RELEASE from my stable 11.*RELEASE path :)

Are there any extra steps involved when the base OS is installed on ZFS? I have NAS running v11.2 installed on a ZFS root. I've used freebsd-update many times in the past, but only with UFS installs.

Back