Solved cam status unconditionally re-queue request

• Thread starter Ralston Champagnie
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ralston Champagnie

So, I am trying to create a second drive for storage. I added the brand-new Seagate 500GB hoping to format UFS...well, booting the PFSense machine never completes so I could format the new drive...instead I keep getting: "cam status unconditionally re-queue request" and it kept retrying and getting the same exact result.

So, I remove the drive and placed it in an USB enclosure formatting MSDOS with MacBook Pro...then, I attached the drive to the PFSense machine then tried to delete using gpart delete da4...got some thing about invalid argument. If I use gpart add -t freebsd-ufs 1M da4, I get some GEOM error.

So, I came here for help as I am new to FreeBSD hoping to learn whether the drive is good, the official method to format second drive, and how do I more all /usr/local/etc/rc.d files to the second in order all future files stored there. Didn't expect to spend the evening dealing with what seems a simple thing in Mac world.

What OS are you running? FreeBSD or PFSense? If it is not FreeBSD, then you are at the wrong forum (which is what SirDice said above).

If it is FreeBSD, then please post some cut-and-paste from your console log, with the exact error message, seen in context. It is not clear whether the error is happening during device discovery, during first use, or during management operations (perhaps you are running smartd?). Also, we need more details about the hardware: What type of drive (SAS or SATA)? What is it attached to?

Before you go to the effort of writing down all the details: Most "cam..." problems end up being connection issues. The easiest thing to do would be to take the machine apart, and reseat all connections to the disk drives, and make sure everything is plugged in solidly. If you have spare cables, try switching to a different SATA or SAS cable. I would guess that just doing this step has a 70% chance of fixing the problem, without having to debug the software details.

What OS are you running? FreeBSD or PFSense? If it is not FreeBSD, then you are at the wrong forum (which is what SirDice said above).

If it is FreeBSD, then please post some cut-and-paste from your console log, with the exact error message, seen in context. It is not clear whether the error is happening during device discovery, during first use, or during management operations (perhaps you are running smartd?). Also, we need more details about the hardware: What type of drive (SAS or SATA)? What is it attached to?

Before you go to the effort of writing down all the details: Most "cam..." problems end up being connection issues. The easiest thing to do would be to take the machine apart, and reseat all connections to the disk drives, and make sure everything is plugged in solidly. If you have spare cables, try switching to a different SATA or SAS cable. I would guess that just doing this step has a 70% chance of fixing the problem, without having to debug the software details.

Thank you Ralphbsz for responding...yes, I am running PFSense 2.4, however, I don't know how to copy and paste from the machine since I was using the shell from the actually machine...don't know how to screen share to my MacBook Pro and I don't get or know how to get terminal window from the WebConfigurator yet.

Yes, I have an extra brand-new SATA 3 cable that I could try; however, the SATA 3 cable that's attached to the drive is also brand-new...just saying. I will try what you have suggested and report later. I had seen in my searching suggestion on the cable but I side step that because the cable was brand-new. Hardware...I am using a HP Pavilion a6242n I found next to the dumpster, tested working, so, I decided to recycle it into a PFSense machine even though it will only last a year/year and a half due to the AES-IN issue. I added new Crucial memory (8GB) and an Intel dual NIC...also will update the processor to AMD 6000+ 3.1mhz when it arrive over the weekend or next Monday.

Most "cam..." problems end up being connection issues. If you have spare cables, try switching to a different SATA or SAS cable. I would guess that just doing this step has a 70% chance of fixing the problem, without having to debug the software details.

You were absolutely correct...the new cable was bad...I replaced it with another new SATA 3...all is good...thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back