cairo-compmgr for FreeBSD

Is there any cairo-compmgr ports for FreeBSD ? Seems there's no... Is there any replacement for cairo-compmgr ?

Thanks in advance

I've been interested in trying out cairo-compmgr too. I just found this site: http://ftp1.fr.freebsd.org/pub/frugalware/frugalware-current/source/x11-extra/cairo-compmgr. I downloaded the source and applied the two patches.

The autogen.sh file craps out:
Code:
build/debian.am:50: shell dpkg-parsechangelog | grep ^Version | sed 's/.*: //; s/-.*//;': non-POSIX variable name
build/debian.am:50: (probably a GNU make extension)
Makefile.am:10:   `build/debian.am' included from here
autoreconf-2.68: automake failed with exit status: 1

I con't know how to get it working.

bigtoque said:
I've been interested in trying out cairo-compmgr too. I just found this site: http://ftp1.fr.freebsd.org/pub/frugalware/frugalware-current/source/x11-extra/cairo-compmgr. I downloaded the source and applied the two patches.

The autogen.sh file craps out:
Code:
build/debian.am:50: shell dpkg-parsechangelog | grep ^Version | sed 's/.*: //; s/-.*//;': non-POSIX variable name
build/debian.am:50: (probably a GNU make extension)
Makefile.am:10:   `build/debian.am' included from here
autoreconf-2.68: automake failed with exit status: 1

I con't know how to get it working.

It is not working because these patches are intended for Frugalware Linux. Cairo-Compmgr is not in the FreeBSD ports tree yet. If compositing is something that you just cannot live without, I suggest using compiz, or XFCE4 if you want a more lightweight solution. There is also Xcompmgr with Fluxbox/Openbox if you need an even more lightweight solution. As far as I can tell, these are the three compositing options available at the moment.

“All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can’t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.”
– IBM Manual, 1925

ring_zero said:
It is not working because these patches are intended for Frugalware Linux. Cairo-Compmgr is not in the FreeBSD ports tree yet. If compositing is something that you just cannot live without, I suggest using compiz, or XFCE4 if you want a more lightweight solution. There is also Xcompmgr with Fluxbox/Openbox if you need an even more lightweight solution. As far as I can tell, these are the three compositing options available at the moment.

KDE4 does compositing (not sure about KDE3, but it might) as well as gnome2.

Adam

FreeBSD Compositing

adamk said:
KDE4 does compositing (not sure about KDE3, but it might) as well as gnome2.

Adam

Right you are sir. I apologize, my statement was worded incorrectly. I should have stated that these were the three options that I prefer, and not the only three. Kwm and Gnome do have compositing, as well as mutter. Enlightenment also has an included compositor, as well as an add-on module called ecomorph, but it does not work on FreeBSD at the moment. See here http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=21377.

Something for those who use xcompmgr with fluxbox/blackbox/et cetera. Transparent xterm windows become something of an issue. An issue usually solved by transset-df. I have seen some transset-df menu hacks for other wms for opening a transparent xterm directly from their menus floating around on the net, and most of them work with varying degrees of success. I have not seen anyone suggest installing a terminal, such as "terminal" or "gnome-terminal", that supports transparency setting. With these terminals transset-df-xterm menu hacks become uneccessary. I am not sure if xterm has this functionality as I have not had the time to fully research it. I wanted something working quickly, as I use term transparency as a productivity enhancement, and not eye-candy, and terminal is already a part of XFCE...

Also, I have had some issues with conky and xcompmgr, specifically, when disabling own_window, and drawing directly to the desktop.

Back