C C--

You can do lambdas and delegates in C++.

Well, I preffer C--. A little more than assembly with C types. It must be invented. FORTRAN was on the way, but then came the structured programming fanaticism (goto despised) and the object oriented fanaticism. You are compelled to use bloated programming languages that generate bloated binaries, you are compelled to use strange programming tricks and strange language features to paraphrase things that could be done directly with a simple goto, or a gosub/call.

Well, I preffer C--. A little more than assembly with C types. It must be invented. FORTRAN was on the way, but then came the structured programming fanaticism (goto despised) and the object oriented fanaticism. You are compelled to use bloated programming languages that generate bloated binaries, you are compelled to use strange programming tricks and strange language features to paraphrase things that could be done directly with a simple goto, or a gosub/call.

Are you saying that you don't understand lambas and because of that you prefer writing gotos and subroutine calls?

I'm no fan of inheritance in C++. It has its uses, but it has given C++ a bad rep for being slow and bloated. There is nothing that obliges you to use OO in C++. The standard library itself mainly uses templates, with relatively little inheritance.

Templates, lambdas and constexpr are where it's going. The syntax is not very friendly and the compiler error messages can be horrendous. But if you know what you are doing you can get FORTRAN speed with C++. Those tricks and features mean that the compiler can do more optimizations.

I understand lambdas in LISP. I prefer gotos and subroutine calls because there is not much to understand, because they efficiently do exactly what one wants that they do without compiler optimizations through tricks and programming language features. In other thread someone wrote that in the 1970's just using a computer basically required programming skills. That is true. A computer was a programmable machine, not an application box for idiots that may only be programmed by programming experts.

Back