C#: building GtkSharp with lang/dotnet and cake

Background: The first roadblock of porting Ryujinx is the failing initialization of Gtk. It uses GtkSharp, a C# wrapper for Gtk. The problem is in Source/Libs/Shared/FuncLoader.cs, where it loads the shared library which includes dlopen. It uses different libraries for different platforms, e.g. kernel32.dll for Windows or libdl.so.2 for Linux. Eight months ago it gained "support for unknown unix", which loads libc. This is the program path FreeBSD would take. The problem is that Ryujinx uses a local copy of GtkSharp which it hasn't updated in two years and therefore doesn't include the unix addition. Before I approach upstream I want to compile and test a newer GtkSharp with Ryujinx myself.

Problem: The build of GtkSharp fails and I am a bit clueless, because I'm still not proficient with the C#/dotnet toolchain. I follow the build instructions:
Code:
git clone https://github.com/GtkSharp/GtkSharp.git gtksharp
cd gtksharp
dotnet tool restore
dotnet cake build.cake
I get:
Code:
No scripts found at /usr/home/user/gtksharp/CakeScripts/GAssembly.cake.
No scripts found at /usr/home/user/gtksharp/CakeScripts/Settings.cake.
No scripts found at /usr/home/user/gtksharp/CakeScripts/TargetEnvironment.cake.
No scripts found at /usr/home/user/gtksharp/CakeScripts/GAssembly.cake.
No scripts found at /usr/home/user/gtksharp/CakeScripts/Settings.cake.
No scripts found at /usr/home/user/gtksharp/CakeScripts/TargetEnvironment.cake.
Error: Failed to install addin 'Cake.FileHelpers'.

The question is: am I missing something obvious, like some environment variable I need to set, or is there some FreeBSD related incompatibility? Does somebody have a better insight in C# and cake?

Back