Solved building kde5 from the ports collection

The KDE5 port has a huge list of dependencies and one of them is suiteparse-amd; actually it might be needed because of something I selected in one the configuration dialogs. The build fails at this step:

Code:
cc -O2 -pipe  -fstack-protector-strong -isystem /usr/local/include -fno-strict-aliasing  -isystem /usr/local/include  -O3 -fexceptions -fPIC -fopenmp -I/usr/ports/math/suitesparse-amd/work/stage/usr/local/include/suitesparse -I../../SuiteSparse_config -I../../AMD/Include -I../../COLAMD/Include -I../../BTF/Include -I../../CHOLMOD/Include -o amd_simple amd_simple.c  -L/usr/ports/math/suitesparse-amd/work/SuiteSparse-5.10.1/lib -s -Wl,-rpath=/usr/local/lib/gcc10  -L/usr/local/lib/gcc10 -B/usr/local/bin -fstack-protector-strong -L/usr/local/lib  -L/usr/ports/math/suitesparse-amd/work/stage/usr/local/lib -L/usr/ports/math/suitesparse-amd/work/stage/usr/local/lib -L../../lib -lamd -lsuitesparseconfig -L/usr/local/lib -lm
./amd_simple > my_amd_simple.out
ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libamd.so.2" not found, required by "amd_simple"
gmake[3]: *** [Makefile:47: amd_simple] Error 1

Directory /usr/ports/math/suitesparse-amd/work/stage/usr/local/lib contains the library libamd.so.2, so I'm not sure why it's not found.

Any suggestion would be welcome, for now I'm stuck.

Code:
$ uname -aKU && freebsd-version -kru
FreeBSD maxwell 13.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE #0 releng/13.0-n244733-ea31abc261f: Fri Apr  9 04:24:09 UTC 2021     root@releng1.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/GENERIC  amd64 1300139 1300139
13.0-RELEASE
13.0-RELEASE
13.0-RELEASE
Thanks Graham.

The base operating system is outdated.

As root, with csh:

csh && setenv PAGER cat && freebsd-update fetch install && exit

setenv PAGER cat && freebsd-update fetch install

1. su -l root -c /bin/csh
  2. setenv PAGER cat && freebsd-update fetch install
  3. restart the OS, for the updates to become effective.

Last edited:
I just updated. The release is now 13.0-RELEASE-p4. Unfortunately the build of suitesparse-amd still fails at the same location. Looking closer I can see that the problem is not building the amd_simple but running it; I guess the directory containing library libamd.so.2 is not in the path of the dynamic loader when the program is run.

I remove the option Build Demos in configuration and the build now completes successfully.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Back