Dual Booting FreeBSD with RHEL

I am usually either Linux Purist or a FreeBSD purist, however, as of late I've wanted to explore dual booting the two operating environments on my Intel Xeon Based. HP Z420 Workstation. I'm well aware that his same question/quandary has been posed several times over. What is the recommended ordering of installation for the two operating environments? Or is it recommended to install FreeBSD first and then install Linux so that the grub or lilo boot loader whichever one I choose can auto-detect FreeBSD? Orr should I install Linux first and then go back and allow the FreeBSD boot manager to handle the boot process post-BIOS handoff?

I have my computer configured with A 400GB Kingston SSD as the Boot Device in the bios and a 2TB(preformat) 1.20TB(post format) Seagate spinning platter HDD as the secondary device it is currently configured to house the /home partition of my current RHEL installation. My thought process is to devote the faster 400GB SSD to HOLD the everyday operating system znd the spinning rust drive would be split between both FreeBSD and a fresh installation of RHEL on the remaining space in the spinning rust hdd using the ext2 file system in the /home partition of the new Linux installation so that I can mount said home partition in both Operating systems.

You can also install FreeBSD on the SSD and install Red Hat on a USB stick. I have a USB with MX Linux permanently installed on it. When I plug in the USB it will boot MX Linux, otherwise FreeBSD boots.

Another option is to virtualize Red Hat in bhyve or VirtualBox.

If you install FreeBSD first and Linux second then grub-install will automatically detect FreeBSD and make a grub boot entry for it.

cracauer@ that hasn't been my experience with Linux in general. I usually have to create a custom.cfg for grub to boot FreeBSD. (not saying your wrong, as I haven't tried that exact combo, of FreeBSD and RedHat).

This thread worked well for me, including having FreeBSD on a ZFS partition sharing with other O/S's.

I would add that if you're going to virtualize it, bhyve is much faster for me than VirtualBox with a RHEL9 guest.

This is what I did for duel booting with both Linux (Void) and Windows. I use BIOS booting with MBR partitions, and installed Freebsd first.

Back