BTX Halted

Hi to all.

Sorry guys but I'm new to this. I very like to use FreeBSD but all the time something is wrong. This time I try to install FreeBSD on a Toshiba laptop with the following specs:

Protege R705-SP3011M
Processor Core I7
4 GB of RAM
120 GB SSD

I have disabled everything in the BIOS and nothing changes. I can only see a black screen and in the end "BTX Halted".

Please help.

Thanks.

What version of FreeBSD? For what architecture? What is the exact message?

octagago said:
Hi to all.

Sorry guys but I'm new to this. I very like to use FreeBSD but all the time something is wrong. This time I try to install FreeBSD on a Toshiba laptop with the following specs:

Protege R705-SP3011M
Processor Core I7
4 GB of RAM
120 GB SSD

I have disabled everything in the BIOS and nothing changes. I can only see a black screen and in the end "BTX Halted".

Please help.

Thanks.

I have Toshiba with same problem. Ever since 7.4-RELEASE boot hangs with BTX Halted. Same for both CD and USB booting. As a workaround, have a look at http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/download.html. Boot with this, then select CD/USB with FreeBSD to boot.

SirDice said:
What version of FreeBSD? For what architecture? What is the exact message?

The architecture is a intel x64 and the version is 9. Sorry but I can try to stop when booting to see the message, but it's very fast. I can only see the last BTX Halted, all the text at the top are numbers.

Thanks for your response.

OTOH, getting the exact error message (use a camera, for example) and other details about the machine, BIOS version, FreeBSD version and posting this to the relevant mailing list will help the developers - perhaps they even will be able to fix BTX to work on your machines.

If your machine supports booting from a GPT partitioned drive (see gpart(8)), you can always try that and see if it works, too.

tingo said:
OTOH, getting the exact error message (use a camera, for example) and other details about the machine, BIOS version, FreeBSD version and posting this to the relevant mailing list will help the developers - perhaps they even will be able to fix BTX to work on your machines.

If your machine supports booting from a GPT partitioned drive (see gpart(8)), you can always try that and see if it works, too.

Thanks, I send everything to FreeBSD developers and email lists. I keep trying to use in that laptop.

bbzz said:
The issue is directly related to BIOS and can't be easily fixed. Have you tried that link above?

Thanks, I upgraded my BIOS and now it is booting. Really thanks!

Back