BSD Certification

I'm curious about the general lack of chatter about the BSD Certification system.

The forums here reveal only one interested party, to whom no one responded.

That was a year ago.

I checked daemonforums and bsdnexus, with equally meager results. Is it possible that BSD admins/users have little interest in quantifying their skills via a certification program? Perhaps the industry doesn't yet respect the cert, thereby not requiring it in job postings?

BSDCan 2010 is 3 months away, and it has occurred to me that it might be a goal worth working towards. However, if its not valued by BSD users... what is the point of certifying?!

I'd like to hear from anyone who's taken an exam and what they've gained through the process. Equally so, I'd like to hear from those who haven't taken it, and why.

You need to register and pay for materials.

I've registered earlier and will get the materials when I can afford.

I believe the tests are to show your proficiency in and with BSD systems.
Near me is the Baltimore-DC-Alexandria area which has a bit of BSD businesses. If you're teaching Operating Systems, certification would not be a bad idea. Think of it as the way Linux certification started: someone(s) had to make a set of standards to follow.

I've been generally interested in BSD certification in the past, but have not pursued it. After poking through the URLs you provided, there are two points that are discouraging (to me, personally):
  1. The closest upcoming exam is in Los Angeles. I live in central Texas.
  2. Operating systems covered include NetBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and Dragonfly BSD.

Without some fairly substantial motivation, I'd have a hard time justifying a flight to LA to sit for an exam. And, as much as I respect Net/Open/Dragonfly, I don't have any particular professional use for them at this point. (There is not enough time in my day to learn three new OSes just for an exam -- we're back to a motivation issue again.)

My 2 cents.

I've sent an email with the inquiry about taking the test and available areas.
I'll post the reply here later.

The only thing stopping me from getting the BSDA cert is unavailability of testing in BC, Canada. Hopping a plane to Toronto/Ottawa just to take a test is a bit extravagant right now. :) But I follow the mailing list, and have done a bunch of reading on it. If it ever comes around my neck of the woods, I'll give it a shot.

Me and a bunch of colleagues over here (~12 as of today) are taking the BSDA exam in October. We have an examinator ("proctor") come in from Belgium to conduct the exam locally (The Hague area). I've heard that you can have an examinator come over when there's a sufficient amount of interest. Which is probably why these exams are available at some open source conferences. So you may have to do some local organising to get a certain amount of people to participate.

Q11: Can the exam only be taken at events?
A: Even though the majority of exams are organized at conferences, you can arrange for a proctor to come to your organization to supervise exams at the location of your choice. For more information about requirements, contact us.

I've sent a request to the organisation about this topic. Perhaps they're willing to participate and address questions/concerns you may have.

We're still waiting to hear back from the organizers of Texas LinuxFest to see if we can offer the exam there (Austin).

As for the learning 4 operating systems, the BSDA is broad, not deep. The logic behind the choice was that we wouldn't want a certified person to look bad in front of their employer because they could not perform a common task (e.g. create a user, setup networking) on a BSD they usually don't work with. For example, manually configuring an interface is different on OpenBSD then FreeBSD.

Cheers,

Dru

We'd love to offer the exam in BC. If you know of an upcoming conference or an employer, school, or user group willing to host an exam room, please let us know so we can make the necessary arrangements to offer the exam. This also applies to anyplace in the world. If at least 4 people are willing to take the exam at the exam event, it is worth sending a proctor to that location.

Cheers,

Dru

(short introductory notice for dlavigne ;))

Dru Lavigne is a well-known name in FreeBSD circles (well, should be!):

* Board Member at the FreeBSD Foundation
* Board Member at the BSD Certification Group
* Author of several excellent FreeBSD books, e.g. "The Best of FreeBSD Basics", "BSD Hacks".

So you know who you're talking to ;)

@Dutch,
I know you've stated before that you admin BSD boxen. How will certifying help you in the work place? Or is this more of a personal goal?

@Dru,
Thank you for sharing. I'm sure most of us read and use your FreeBSD MOTD tips at each login, not to mention all the articles you've written. ( ;
I know you were/are instrumental in developing the BSD cert program. Many here have probably seen or read the addresses you've made about BSD certification. Knowing you have to maintain a certain level of diplomacy, I was hoping you would still candidly answer a question I've not seen answered:

Is the importance of having a BSDA certificate penetrating the industry? If so, to what extent? What kind of feedback are you getting and from whom?

I guess that was more than one question. ( ;

Thanks.

paean said:
@Dutch,
I know you've stated before that you admin BSD boxen. How will certifying help you in the work place? Or is this more of a personal goal?

It's more or less a matter of convenience for me personally (I don't really *need* or *desire* a certification, but someone around here was interested and was looking into organising an exam, so I tagged along), and a little bit of politics, spreading FreeBSD and BSD goodwill in my organisation by getting people to join the BSDA exams; there are some LPI certified people here and Linux has some acceptance, so it's time to introduce better options by rallying the people who've at least _heard_ of the BSDs, or are using them already. Putting BSD squarely on the map and making it a viable option/alternative with in-house knowledge is an important goal.

BSD Certification Suggestion

BSD certification means a great deal to me, and I cannot wait until the certification process is an actual lab like RHCE and CCIE so that it is geared more for people who have BSD skills and less for people who just have good testing skills. I will be taking the exam, but not until the next time it is closer to AZ, USA.

Thank you for all of your efforts!

Will Stott

I received two replies to my inquiry.
Here are both:

The Exam is proctored by BSDCG authorized proctors, and there are some
basic requirements to fulfill to become a proctor, and certainly beeing
certified in BSD, Linux or Windows is *not* a requirement. In fact it's
the opposite. It's likely desireble that the proctor is able to follow
standardized procedures, beein a person whom the BSDCG will trust, and
having the fewer knowledge the possible in Unix-like and specially BSD
(therefore, few to null knowledge in Linux is good). Certified BSD
professionals and Linux professionals will likely be a less desired
person to become a BSDCG proctor.

Where (country/city) are you? Do you know of more people interested in
taking the Exam where you are?

In places where there is no proctor, exam sessions can be arranged too.

--
Patrick Tracanelli

The certification test can be made available at any conference, employer, school, or user group who would like to host an exam room. If you know of one in your geographic area who may be interested, let us know and we'll make the necessary arrangements to plan an exam event.

Cheers,

Dru Lavigne

My question was as follows:

Since the BSD community is smaller in size than Linux, there seems to be fewer areas
for us to take the certification tests.
Is there any way that the test can be administered by another individual who may have certification in other operating systems such as Linux or Windows?

Thanks, Dru Lavigne e obrigado pra sua resposta, Tracanelli.

saxon3049 said:
Are there any certification centres in the Northwest of England?
We don't use testing centers (due to their cost and because we try to be community based). Do you know of any conferences, employers, schools, or user groups in Northwest England who might be interested in hosting an exam room?

paean said:
@Dutch,

@Dru,
Thank you for sharing. I'm sure most of us read and use your FreeBSD MOTD tips at each login, not to mention all the articles you've written. ( ;
I know you were/are instrumental in developing the BSD cert program. Many here have probably seen or read the addresses you've made about BSD certification. Knowing you have to maintain a certain level of diplomacy, I was hoping you would still candidly answer a question I've not seen answered:

Is the importance of having a BSDA certificate penetrating the industry? If so, to what extent? What kind of feedback are you getting and from whom?

I guess that was more than one question. ( ;

Thanks.
We have heard from a few employers who have hired a BSDA certified person over a non-BSDA certified person. Several large employers have held private certification events for their employees and a couple have hosted exam events open to the public as well as their own employees. So, considering BSD certification started from nothing, I think we are making good strides towards recognition. Of course, the more people who take the exam, advertise their BSDA credential, and let others know about the certification program, the better...

DutchDaemon said:
Me and a bunch of colleagues over here (~12 as of today) are taking the BSDA exam in October. We have an examinator ("proctor") come in from Belgium to conduct the exam locally (The Hague area).

Nice! Any chance a friend and me can join you?

Sorry, but no. It's not a public venue, and it's financed through the company. But there are BSDA exams at e.g. FOSDEM, and probably at various other OSS conferences in The Netherlands. In The Hague, Pine has hosted (in-house?) BSDA exams in the past (recently, even).

jemate18 said:
Hi dru
would it be possible that the exam
be available in vue or prometric
We won't offer the exam at VUE or Prometric as it costs $75,000 USD per year per service (i.e. Vue or Prometric) just to use their services. This cost does not include additional costs for changing the exam to keep it up-to-date. We could use a business model where we get sponsorship to pay these costs, but we would rather use the money we raise to benefit the BSD community rather than a proprietary vendor. We also prefer to keep the certification community based e.g. people known in the BSD community volunteer as proctors, user groups study together then take the exam, sysadmins network with each other at conferences where the exam is held, companies/organizations that use BSD offer exam events, etc.

There has been much educational effort on our part to gain interest in creating an open source exam delivery solution that can be used by BSD cert as well as other open source communities who wish to provide their own certifications. Up to this point, that effort has not resulted in a working solution. We have a written specification but have not yet found a project manager willing to take this on and lead the development (bsd cert is comprised mostly of sysadmins and educators, not developers). If anyone is interested in taking this on, let us know!

DutchDaemon said:
Sorry, but no. It's not a public venue, and it's financed through the company. But there are BSDA exams at e.g. FOSDEM, and probably at various other OSS conferences in The Netherlands. In The Hague, Pine has hosted (in-house?) BSDA exams in the past (recently, even).
NLUUG (in May) and Open Community Camp (in July) have confirmed that they will again hold an exam event (both do this annually):

https://register.bsdcertification.org//register/events/nluug-1
https://register.bsdcertification.org//register/events/opencommunitycamp

Please help spread the word to the Dutch BSD community.

Here's my $0.02 on the OPs question of interest.

I've little to no formal training in BSD, so there are certainly gaps in my knowledge - I just learn what I need as I go. This would make taking any closed certification exam problematic. I also have a 2" thick pile of printouts and notes I use for reference when setting up a system because I'm not going to remember the name of specific kernel parameters when I only use them once every 4-6 months at most.

The current test description document says that it covers FreeBSD 6.x (among other distros). A relative newcomer to BSD, the earliest version I've used is 7.0, so this wouldn't work too well for questions that have changed between versions. (M$ exams are very picky with this type of thing from what I've heard. They change where stuff is located between releases and even between patch levels - the exam question will specify the OS version and patch level; you're expected to know where a given obscure option is with this information and not being able to look at a screen to see that the button has been renamed or moved.)

I'm not going to travel long distances to take a test (closest upcoming one to me is about 1500 miles away), nor pay large amounts of money to do so. While $75 isn't a ton of money and much less than I've seen other certification exams cost, I can get another terrabyte of storage with that same amount of cash. :)

I also have a rather low opinion of the value of certifications in general. I can't tell you the number of times that I've shown up a person in something he/she was 'certified' in. For example, in my college excel class (yes, one of those required classes I slept through ;) ), we had a microsoft certified something or other. The older lady sitting at the next bank of computers wasn't able to format her 3.5" floppy disk because it was used and too full to save the 'unformat' information and windoze 95 didn't have a checkbox to override. (This was when floppies were expensive compared to now, ~$2 a shot, and she couldn't afford a box of them... she was barely able to afford to go to school.) The MCAP (microsoft certified arrogant person ;) ) swaggered over, proudly proclaimed his certification in a voice loud enough for everyone in the class to hear, looked at the error, clicked a things for about 5 minutes, and then declared without a shadow of a doubt that the disk was unusable. He was truly speechless when I (19 years old wearing old jeans and a t-shirt) rolled my chair over to her station, wordlessly leaned over the keyboard, pressed control-escape, arrowed up twice to run, started a command prompt, typed format a: /q /u, hit enter, said "there ya go", and rolled back to my station. :e My brother has spent tons of money on multiple certifications, but still doesn't know what he's doing in most stuff. A buddy calls me all the time for PC advice - his company recently paid for him to be certified, but it was such that he crammed for 2+ weeks leading up to the test, passed it, and dumped it all because he never used it. (See previous reference to obscure features never used.)

That all being said, I'd love to have some sort of certification in BSD. It would be completely useless for my present job (and probably in near-future jobs as well given the area I live in), but would be sweet to be able to say, put on my business cards, or be able put in my profile. Even if it's just an online exam that I could complete with the reference material that I have at hand when working on a system anyways, it'd be very cool.

Back