BSD 14.1 is not recognizing the Optical drive

cd0 will not mount; however installing the BSD 14.1 OS over a windows vista OS via full BSD 4.7 DVD worked fine. Plugging a new ASUS external drive via USB was received equally negatively by BSD 14.1, and gave exactly the same errors. I work as root and from the prompt, and I'm not asking for a way to write as a user, and I don't believe in making mods to fstab until after I can mount by the prompt because I don't want to have BSD enter single-user mode when FSTAB is incorrect. There aren't any magic bullets used to modify devfs.conf, since CD0 is present in /dev and I only use a single optical drive. I can mount a USB stick formatted in FAT32, NTFS, exFAT with the FUSEFS easily, so I know that the PCs USB ports are OK. What I believe is the problem is indicated when I place the BSD DVD into the tray and I am told that an adjustment was made to offsets. I am also offered a command to make the offsets permanent, but in issuing the command the result: command unknown, is issued. The BSD installation is up to date as are security patches.

# camcontrol devlist shows: optiarc DVD RW AD-7563A WX05, at scbus1 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,cd0)
..that should be what I'm mounting onto /dvd as cd0 with: mount /

# egrep 'ad[0-9]|cd[0-9]' /var/run/dmesg.boot
acpi_acad0: <AC Adapter> on acpi0
orm0: <ISA Option ROMs> at iomem 0xc0000-0xccfff,0xcd000-0xcdfff,0xdc000-0xdfff,0xd000-oxe17ff pnpid ORM0000 on isa0
-- was all very nice but was no help to me.

So, I decided to be creative and try some old mount commands.
So, with the FreeBSD DVD inserted in the tray, I try:

I put the FreeBSD DVD into the tray.
# mount_ufs /dev/cd0 /dvd (because I don't want it looking at fstab, and yea, I have a /dvd available)
mount: /dev/cd0: No such file or directory.
It's kind of weird since ufs is the BSD default fs so no need to specify it. So I try:
# mount /dev/cd0 /dvd
mount: /dev/cd0: No such file or directory. What? I have a /dev/cd0 and I have a /dvd, so what's up?
Now I try:
#mount_udf /dev/cd0 /dvd
mount_udf: /dev/cd0: Device busy. OK--at lease the response is different. I see /dvd is empty.
I can't open the tray until I issue: # umount /dev/cd0

Not always, but sometimes, when I insert the FreeBSD DVD into the tray, I receive a message:
root@godzilla: # GEOM_PART: cd0 was automatically resized.
Use 'gpart commit cd0' to save change or 'gpart undo cd0' to revert them
I type:
# gpart commit cd0 then all of the underworld breaks out.
(cd0:ata0:0:0:0): WRITE(10). CDB: 2a 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00
(cd0:ata0:0:0:0): CAM status: SCSI Status Error
(cd0:ata0:0:0:0): SCSI status Check Condition
(cd0:ata0:0:0:0): SCSI sense: ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:30,6 (Cannot format medium - incompatible medium)
The above repeats itself four times, then:
(cd0:ata0:0:0:0): Error 5, Retires exhausted
(cd0:ata0:0:0:0): cddone: got error 0x5 back
gpart: Input/output error
At this point, I can't eject the disk. # umount /dev/cd0 does nothing, and # umount -f /dev/cd0 gives: unknown file system
So, I choose to reboot instead of getting out the paper clip in order to removed the disk because it's my prerogative.

Now, I try inserting the commercial DVD titled Anna and the King.
The disk is read immediately.
root@godzilla: (cd0:ata0:0:0:0:): READ(10. CDB: 28 00 00 3f 42 9e 00 00 04 00
(cd0:ata0:0:0:0): SCSI sense: ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:6f,3 (Read of scrambled sector without authentication)
This repeats itself 14 more times, and then Error 5, Retries exhausted, cddone: got error 0x5 back

I'm not sure what all the numbers mean. Maybe the internal optical drive is fubar, but not the new ASUS external optical drive.

If this helps, please reply forthwith.

Maybe you'll need to set proper quirks.
But unfortunately, the quirks needed is strongly depends on the specific drive (includes USB bridge on the drive).
For example, IODATA BRP_UT6S required UQ_MSC_FORCE_PROTO_SCSI and UQ_MSC_IGNORE_RESIDUE to be recognized as cd. Without quirks, it was recognized as umass (da). But some others didn't required quirks.

Now, I try inserting the commercial DVD titled Anna and the King.
The disk is read immediately.
root@godzilla: (cd0:ata0:0:0:0:): READ(10. CDB: 28 00 00 3f 42 9e 00 00 04 00
(cd0:ata0:0:0:0): SCSI sense: ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:6f,3 (Read of scrambled sector without authentication)
This repeats itself 14 more times, and then Error 5, Retries exhausted, cddone: got error 0x5 back

I'm not sure what all the numbers mean. Maybe the internal optical drive is fubar, but not the new ASUS external optical drive.

If this helps, please reply forthwith.
I don't know for the use of ufs backed by a dvd, but for the commercial dvd case it is simple:
This simple means that the dvd is protected by a DRM that prevent the dvd player to read some sector. You can't simply read it like that, you have to use tools like multimedia/handbrake for that.

Back