Solved Brother FAX1960C Linux Printer Drivers Working with Emulation

Until recently I was using a cludgy workaround to print from my FreeBSD laptop to our printer/fax machine. The printer is a Brother FAX1960C. There were only proprietary Linux drivers. My contrived solution was to install the driver from Brother on Arch Linux in a VirtualBox VM. Then, when I wanted to print, I had to disable USB2 settings on the host to get USB support in the VM, print to a pdf in a shared folder, start the VM, and then print from there. (Actually, I usually just asked my wife to print from her netbook.)

I had tried several times previously to fit the instructions on this page to get it working with the Linux driver and Linux emulation. I kept coming up short. There was a lot of conflicting information in the Googlesphere. But today I finally got it working directly under FreeBSD through the USB port. This printer/fax is not too common, so I don't really want to write a complete how-to. But if anyone has one of these, I'm willing to share what I did so long as you ask me quickly before I forget.

There was a lot of conflicting information in the Googlesphere. But today I finally got it working directly under FreeBSD through the USB port. This printer/fax is not too common, so I don't really want to write a complete how-to. But if anyone has one of these, I'm willing to share what I did so long as you ask me quickly before I forget.

Nice work.

The first thing that comes to mind: https://xkcd.com/979/. I hope you can document it before you forget. You never know. The how to might be greatly appreciated by someone in the future.

Back