booting from memstick img

When I try to boot from the memstick image, my screen says something about attempting to boot and then BTX loader 1.00 and BTX version 1.02 and hangs until I pull the USB and restart the machine. IDK I can't boot this at all. I get a screen on a virtual machine and that doesn't go any farther than that. Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

What image are you using? You are in a virtual machine? Which one?

btx messages mean that you are at the loader stage, see boot-overview.
No not a virtual machine. I am trying to install this as a host on a real machine. That uses BIOS. That BTX sits for a long time. memstick.img. If I have to press anything, IDK what. And I do not press anything to get there. It comes up and remains for 3 min or so.

You might have downloaded the wrong .img file for your cpu architecture, but that's just a guess. :-/

Use one of these:

You might have downloaded the wrong .img file for your cpu architecture, but that's just a guess. :-/

Use one of these:

I have tried AMD64 and i386.I have an X86_64. An AMD I believe. linux and everything else 64 bit works. The virtual machine would boot to the boot screen, and more. I want a host install. Would A DVD1 install copied from 'dd' onto a USB work? I would think. But it's not working. What would be the best for a network install? A USB boot. I never really understood the PXE boot.

No. dvd1.iso is meant to be burnt on a DVD (as an ISO, not copied as a file). For a USB device, dd memstick.img to it.
I will try again. It sits for several minutes the memstick does. But 'dd' is what I use. I have used the special settings I think is for apple, and used no settings and I get all the same. The bs=1m conv=sync.

No. dvd1.iso is meant to be burnt on a DVD (as an ISO, not copied as a file). For a USB device, dd memstick.img to it.

I got as far as the BTX loader appearing, no loading of a kernel though. I noticed gpt codes to on the USB partition view. Just as in this copy from fdisk.

Attachments

• a.txt
    473 bytes · Views: 118
I have the same problem. Beastie's comment is contrary to the instructions on the web page. It is quite specific that you are to use the dd command to copy the .iso image to the u.s.b. flash drive. Are the instructions on that page in error?

If you have a Windows-System somewhere, use "Rufus" to burn the iso to the Flashdrive.
Worked every time for me.

It is quite specific that you are to use the dd command to copy the .iso image to the u.s.b. flash drive.
Use dd for .img files. The .iso files are meant to be burned to a cd/dvd.

@ billcu: amd64 images should work.. It could be due to BIOS settings, too.

Use dd for .img files. The .iso files are meant to be burned to a cd/dvd.

@ billcu: amd64 images should work.. It could be due to BIOS settings, too.
Could be BIOS, IDK what it would be. BTX 1.00 comes up and BTX loader 1.02. Then it sits, for more than 5 minutes. I have to remove the sick shut off the computer and reboot.

Could be BIOS, IDK what it would be. BTX 1.00 comes up and BTX loader 1.02. Then it sits, for more than 5 minutes. I have to remove the sick shut off the computer and reboot.
Well I used the plop manager and got a little farther. There were codes posted and then "BTX loader halted was printed. it does sound like a BIOS issuse. Does anyone have any idea what would be wrong there? Hum. I am not using a virtual machine. If things were set right I think I could get this thing to boot. I know it's not boot order. USB is set to boot first. And there's an option to boot first from whatever I want also that would override BIOS.

Well I used the plop manager and got a little farther. There were codes posted and then "BTX loader halted was printed. it does sound like a BIOS issuse. Does anyone have any idea what would be wrong there? Hum. I am not using a virtual machine. If things were set right I think I could get this thing to boot. I know it's not boot order. USB is set to boot first. And there's an option to boot first from whatever I want also that would override BIOS.
AMD HP COmpaq don't see the brand number, people tell me BIOS is ok for freebsd. Oh no it's not new It used ethernet. No wifi compatible. I trun my wifi off on my router. The strong wifi. 5 Ghz. I only use wifi with my phone when I use it. Kinda old when I got it.

AMD HP COmpaq don't see the brand number, people tell me BIOS is ok for freebsd. Oh no it's not new It used ethernet. No wifi compatible. I trun my wifi off on my router. The strong wifi. 5 Ghz. I only use wifi with my phone when I use it. Kinda old when I got it.
Yes, BIOS should be fine for FreeBSD. FreeBSD should work with any supported hardware configuration, whether using legacy BIOS or modern UEFI, but it sounds like you might be encountering a hardware compatibility issue.

When you first turn on the device, it may display some information before the POST (you may need to press ESC to make that information visible.) Usually that information includes a copyright year, which can be indicative of the year that the installed BIOS was released. You can also try looking through the various BIOS settings to find a date or version number for the BIOS and possibly other system information such as the model number of the device.

Yes, BIOS should be fine for FreeBSD. FreeBSD should work with any supported hardware configuration, whether using legacy BIOS or modern UEFI, but it sounds like you might be encountering a hardware compatibility issue.

When you first turn on the device, it may display some information before the POST (you may need to press ESC to make that information visible.) Usually that information includes a copyright year, which can be indicative of the year that the installed BIOS was released. You can also try looking through the various BIOS settings to find a date or version number for the BIOS and possibly other system information such as the model number of the device.
Hum. There are other USB sticks here I have windows 7 on one, and it boots fine and installs. If that means anything.

Back