• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Boot Hangs After CPU Upgrade

jwhitehorn

Hello,

I've been happily running FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p4 (GENERIC) on my home server for some time and decided to upgrade the CPU on this system. The hardware configuration was;

GA-M68MT-S2P (rev. 3.0) Motherboard
AMD Athlon II X2 250 CPU

Again, this had been running just fine.

I upgraded the above CPU to an AMD Phenom II X6 1045T just today, and that is when I hit a snag. The system hangs during boot. In verbose mode the last console logs are;

acpi0: <GBT NVDAACPI> on motherboard
ACPI: 2 ACPI AML tables successfully acquired and loaded
ACPI: Actual Package length (1) is larger than NumElements field (0), truncated
PCIe: Memory Mapped configuration base @ 0xe0000000

For reference, I can boot this system into Windows, so I do not suspect it's a hardware issue per se.

I have tried selecting safe boot from the boot menu, but that yielded the same result. Any help in troubleshooting this issue would be much appreciated.

jwhitehorn

Does your Mainboard and BIOS version support the X6 1045T?
Yes. https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-M68MT-S2P-rev-30#support-cpu

A quick update on things I tried last night.

Based on a lot of googling, I tried a number of various things.

I disabled Cool N Quiet in the BIOS. That had the effect of changing the last lines of the logs to:

Code:
acpi0: <GBT NVDAACPI> on motherboard
ACPI: 2 ACPI AML tables successfully acquired and loaded
PCIe: Memory Mapped configuration base @ 0xe0000000
But it still hung.

I tried to disable ACPI, by typing the following in the bootloader:

set hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"
set hint.p4tcc.0.disabled=1
set hint.acpi_throttle.0.disabled=1

But that had the effect of the kernel complaining that APCI cannot be disabled (I'll try and find the exact text and update this post).

I also tried hint.apic.0.disabled="1" per the handbook, but that resulted in a kernel panic on boot.

I found this thread that has all the same symptoms, just different hardware.

jwhitehorn

Yeah, certainly wasn't trying to disable APIC. But I guess disabling ACPI did that... I'm not really sure, and honestly, I was just trying any number of suggestions to try and get this to work. Very odd that the only difference between a working system and not is the processor, and the system will boot into Windows just fine with the X6, just not FreeBSD.

I can always go back to my old processor, but I was really looking forward to the extra cores to handle video transcoding. Thusly why I'm looking for suggestions on how to get this working.

Any tips would be appreciated.