Boot Error when change CF

Hi,
i have a netasq F25 with freebsd.
i change the compact flash 128mb with a compact flash 2gb.
the error is in this log
can you help me?

Attachments

• NetasqF25.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 229
info:
- I copy with DD command the cf 128mb to image, and from image to cf 2gb.
- Cf 128mb and cf 2gb are new.

Does the device boots normally if you but the original 128mb CF back in? If yes, then given the information provided in your log:

Code:
[B][color="Red"]ad0: DMA limited to UDMA33, non-ATA66 cable or device[/color][/B]
ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
ata0: resetting devices .. ad0: DMA limited to UDMA33, non-ATA66 cable or device
done
ad0: 1923MB <CF Card> [3909/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA33
ata0: resetting devices .. ad0: DMA limited to UDMA33, non-ATA66 cable or device
done
done
ad0: trying [B][color="Red"]fallback to PIO mode[/color][/B]
ata0: resetting devices .. done

I would say that the 2gb CF you installed is not immediately compatible with the rest of the hardware, and the system drops to the slower PIO transfer mode, leading to a panic. Is there a BIOS option to change the UDMA?

Try to add the following into /boot/loader.conf:

hw.ata.ata_dma_check_80pin=0

See ata(4) for a description.
cheers,
honk

honk said:
hw.ata.ata_dma_check_80pin=0

This is risky. Don't you think this will negatively affect the stability of the system? The check is there for a reason, bypassing it just ignores the problem.

I guess there is no cable, it's an onboard cf-connector, right?! It's like connecting a pata hdd directly to the pata port on the mainboard. Using additional 40 pins helps to avoid interferences and crosstalk if there is cable between controller and device.

From 7.1 Release Notes: "...The ata(4) driver now supports a loader variable hw.ata.ata_dma_check_80pin. This can be used to disable the 80pin cable check on broken systems such as certain laptops and Soekris boards. The default value is 1..."

cheers,
honk

Hello from Herbert
can somebody tell me how te read the CF fom Netasq F50 ?
The CF has a non standard connector.
Or maby is it posible to replace the CF with a 2.5" HDD ?

The CF has a non standard connector.

If it has a non-standard connector, then it's not a standards compliant CF card. I'm assuming you didn't really mean this :)

Standard CF to standard IDE adapters are available everywhere - generally for less than 10 bucks.

thanks for the reply
it is the same as a 44 pin ide see photo "link"
F50.jpg

You're right - that's not a standard compact flash connector :(

You could get a 2.5" IDE -> 3.5" IDE converter (also widely available and cheap), then you could plug your CF straight into a normal IDE connector on another system.

Failing that, it must be possible to remove the CF from its current "carrier" and use a normal CF card reader.

Back