Blogs and News feeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those posts are created by RSS newsfeeds, and not by any individual human. Both are internet/Netcraft-related, insofar as their subject matter pertains to the eventual fate of the Afghanistan government's top-level domain registrations and the old government's internet sites, which is probably why they wound up here in "our" FreeBSD-related feed. Thread blogs-newsfeeds.39857

The one about the guy who snagged their Domain was one of the better ones I've read.

internet/Netcraft-related,

<https://www.google.com/search?q=FreeBSD+site:www.netcraft.com&tbs=li:1#unfucked> finds only one mention of FreeBSD, under <https://www.netcraft.com/internet-data-mining/hosting-provider-server-count/#error-margins>:

Solutions that use a single operating system kernel and TCP/IP stack for multiple virtual user-lands (e.g. user-mode Linux, FreeBSD jails) will count as one computer.

If FreeBSD Forums represents Netcraft news content under a FreeBSD news heading: why?

I used the report feature for a few more posts that are entirely unrelated to FreeBSD; entirely off-topic. As currently categorised, these things are a waste of space; they devalue the forums.

In the thread I linked, a forum admin implied that Netcraft was somehow related to FreeBSD's 'environment.' I inferred that perhaps Netcraft was one supplier of the RSS newfeed. Maybe I was wrong to jump to that conclusion; maybe I'm misreading this whole thing entirely; I don't really know.

Why is this important? If Netcraft supplies part of FreeBSD's RSS new feed, is that a bad thing? I don't understand the concern.

Reliable Hosting Companies, ... GoDaddy is definitely one of them. Meh! I'm kidding. That was a joke. Seizing domains, terminate hosting ... Aha!
Presently, most reliable hosting are in the the Eastern Europe and Russia. My favorites are in Poland and Hungary.

My Host is locally known as AwaredSpace.com but boils down to ZETTA HOSTING SOLUTIONS LLC. in Sofia, Bulgaria. If you can catch them around a Holiday they have great first year contracts for under a dollar. Goes up next year.

This is my 4th year with them as a paid provider but have had a couple free sites hosted by awardspace in the past. They are the only free site that doesn't require ads on your site to use as their platform to get those clicks.

I asked them if they knew my dopey doppleganger, who by sheer chance lives in the same place my sit is hosted but they denied all knowledge of deeds done and didn't pick up on I wanted someone from office to wring his neck for me. Just a little.

I hope these threads about banning content are not becoming the new sport here as I fear this will do way more harm to the quality of this community than any unrelated link would ever do. The title of the two news links is quite explicit about their technical nature so I wonder what is the true intent behind this thread.
Because of my job I only know too well how activists begin witch hunts so this trajectory makes me perplex. This kind of things never fails to snowball badly before being instrumentalized by people having a political agenda (when they are not instigated by them in the first place).

Here we already have an example with "why is netcraft content featured here". I have always understood that they are quite big sponsors/contributors to FreeBSD so they have privileges here and I personally have no problem with that. The cancel boat will take unsuspecting people to unexpected places.

The forums have a report button and are actively moderated, so maybe we should ban threads about "what about cancelling X, Y, Z" to avoid turning this place into a platform for activism and wokeness (whether it is left-wing wokeness, right-wing wokeness or FreeBSD's version of wokeness). People are professional here, and for the most part know how to small talk professionally (which is probably the reason why the off-topic section was created). I don't remember seeing political flamewars in the off-topic section or someone starting a topic about politics. I feel we should let moderating to moderators and use the report button rather than creating pressure dynamics.

Presently, most reliable hosting are in the the Eastern Europe and Russia. My favorites are in Poland and Hungary.

Specifically?

I am too always interested in knowing more good Eastern Europe hosting companies as they tend to be censorship resistant (please send them in private message if you do not want to reveal their name here). It is crazy what gets censored nowadays.

their technical nature

Unrelated to FreeBSD, however.

sponsors/contributors to FreeBSD

The FreeBSD Foundation finds nothing about Netcraft:

1630821674055.png

– Google tells the same: <https://www.google.com/search?q=Netcraft+site:freebsdfoundation.org&tbs=li:1#unfucked>.

Twenty-one years ago, a grammatical correction (they is) from someone at Netcraft:

<https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/log/?qt=grep&q=Netcraft> ▶ <https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/commit/?id=870fb372757f6d32b18c263e5ad46a3c1021e77c>

Am I missing something?

Maybe the feed was added in a mood of excitement eighteen months eight years ago:

1630822249662.png

– when a long-term future trend towards FreeBSD might have been imagined. More recent tables allow readers to discover that FreeBSD is nowhere to be seen:

1630822644023.png
1630822759624.png

use the report button

A bot goes out to spider the net for Internet related articles in the case of the 2 Afghani albatrosses. Neither of them are from a Political standpoint. Who has control over their computer infrastructure as pertinent if I took it over. What was lost and what could I find to do with t.

The second about somebody who sniped their govt domain, wish I had thought of it.

It is about FreeBSD? No. Neither is the story about Android attack malware, II hate smartphones. but I never red those newsfeeds so it doesn't bother me either way. As an adult with no bone to pick I can easily ignore it. If I know I won't like it I won't read it.

I had cable disconnected during the 2016 Elections because I couldn't stand seeing either one of them on my TV screen any longer and shut them both down.

But if Censorship is involved, please let me in on it so I can show how little will be left when I've nitpicked it.

these threads about banning

what gets censored

There was no prior suggestion of banning or censoring.

Simply: there's misplaced, off-topic content in a prominent area of the forum:

1630824414242.png

So, a newcomer sees news, announcements, Taliban :-/ Afghanistan :-/ promotion of Linux :-/ with FreeBSD missing from the top ten :-/ and security advisories for FreeBSD. Welcome to FreeBSD. Erm, right.

If humans would like to post equally off-topic content here:

– that would be better (than automated, non-human addition to an inappropriate area).

if Censorship is involved,

I think not.

Attachments

• 1630824551994.png
    1630824551994.png
    128.8 KB · Views: 49
Specifically?

reddy and Geezer
I don't know the language, therefore anything with at least partial English support will work, e.g. DotRoll, etc. I had a "cpanel" for a website, but now I'm looking for a *BSD VPS. I'm looking for a long-time plan, and all things considered (from my perspective) that side of the planet looks more stable (in the long run). A buddy of mine has promised me to help with language and setup.

Every single sites under my control (part-time amateur SEO stuff) can be hosted on every hosts, in every country on this planet. So personally, I don't have a need for host-jumping. All hosts work for me. However, I refuse to send money to bullies, GoDaddy for example -- directly or indirectly, even one penny.
Today, they've removed another website, just because they didn't like it.

Regarding the Netcraft, they are a company. That's all I know! According to them (*), they have 5 performance collectors -- with CDN as a factor. Are there any other factors? I don't know, and I won't speculate.

(*) https://uptime.netcraft.com/perf/reports/Hosters

I think not.
Only because you haven't seen me argue the point.

I participated in the discussion whether or not to be a PC People Pleaser at DistroWatch and pick and choose which Religion and Political oriented Linux distros to exclude with a prayer to Kali, the Hindu Goddess of Death, as my post title:

Kali, Goddess of Death, bring me liberation...

• Thanks
Reactions: a6h
Those Netcraft RSS feeds have been a part of the "Blogs and newsfeeds" since 2014 (maybe even longer than that). Why do you suddenly have a problem with that?
I started this thread because it is bother me double criteria from some users. If someone mntion something political immediately jumping and complaing and "valuable news" were also long time in the Forum, I think from 2018 and nobody complain. But if is in the "admin news" something politicial which has nothing with FreeBSD than is okay??

I read them. but I wouldn't have but for this thread.

There was nothing political about them, The one about who had control of the Afgani nation LAN as pertinent as if I had control of it and I wish I had got their domain.

I'd have sold it to the Saudis and had a cup of hashish tea during the meeting. I hear that's the way business is carried out from someone who was there. Then he wasn't there after the oil well blew up.

After I made the case on why Kali souldn't be allowed at DW, I got us. For the rumor we're all Devil Wrshipers because of Beastie. You have to be ruthless when you make a case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back