blank screen with flashing cursor when booting 7.2

When trying to boot my 7.2 system, that's all I get :(
Nothing.

I booted my 7.2 livefs cd and check /boot. loader.conf was an empty file, so I copied /boot/defaults/loader.conf to /boot/, changed the disk part to read disk1s3(a?) and rebooted. Still nothing. All my freebsd partitions are there along with /etc and /var, so something evidently got hosed in my booting sequence?
Oh, I read somewhere on the net to remove /boot/kernel/if_msk.ko. I didn't delete it, but did move it to /root in case that was wrong.

I have a boot manager and checked it. In fact, even deleted and did a fresh install of it.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks.

unicyclist said:
I booted my 7.2 livefs cd and check /boot. loader.conf was an empty file,
That would be correct. It's empty by default.

Not sure why it doesn't do anything though.. I'm assuming the install itself worked?

Yes, install was fine. In fact, had it running for about 5 straight days.
I "faked" an upgrade, and when entering bsdlabel, all partitions are there also.

I booted the livecd and mounted the FreeBSD slice, but this time no partitions were shown :(
Even tried going through fixit and a standard install to get to the disk label. Both showed no partitions, just the 12gig slice :(
Guess something really got hosed and I'll start over with a fresh install later today or this weekend.

Back