Solved Black screen when starting X (backlight)

I had successfully installed FreeBSD 10.2 to my laptop and I had set up Xfce to work with, it was fine. I have no idea what happened but since the last two weeks whenever I startx(1) the screen would just go black and I wasn't able to switch to a console to try to troubleshoot from there I was reading on the handbook about vt(4) so I added the line to /boot/loader.conf then I try to reboot but there is a panic happening how that wont let me boot into the system and remove the line.
Is there a way I can do that? And how can I get Xfce to work again like it did when I first installed it?

I will appreciate all help. My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite C50-A

Thank you. I solved the panic by choosing some of the booting options so I was able to removed the line on the boot loader configuration, but I still have the problem of going into a black screen whenever I start X.
I appreciate all advice.

Whenever someone has a question on X, we ask for the contents of xorg.conf, if there is one. We also ask for the contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log to be posted somewhere accessible, like www.pastebin.com.

It is also helpful to know the model of computer and video card.

Thank you. pastebin from xorg.conf http://pastebin.com/ZTUPz6Qd
pastebin from Xorg.0.log http://pastebin.com/vUwjfgVr

Hope somebody here can help me to solve this issue. I also read somewhere about acpi_video and xbacklight which I dont know how to use them at the moment. But when I issue startxfce I know the desktop enviroments works but the screen turns really dark I was able to see it was there when I used a flash light to see the screen and the menus where there.
I will appreciate all advice, thank you.

I wasn't able to switch to a console to try to troubleshoot from there

In case you don't know. Use Ctrl-F1 to Ctrl-F8 to get to a terminal. Then Ctrl-F9 to get back to the terminal running X.

Since this is really a backlight issue, perhaps the the graphics/intel-backlight port/pkg will help here. After a quick peek at your output posted to pastebin, it looks like your graphics chipset is supported by the port.

Edit: I added "(backlight)" to the thread title for present/future users that may have the same problem.

Since this is really a backlight issue, perhaps the the graphics/intel-backlight port/pkg will help here. After a quick peek at your output posted to pastebin, it looks like your graphics chipset is supported by the port.

Edit: I added "(backlight)" to the thread title for present/future users that may have the same problem.
Thanks for your hint, this maybe solves an issue with a first try of DragonFlyBSD on my Thinkpad R500 with intelgraphic, where switching from Xserver to terminal per Strg+F1 only gives a black screen and trying to switch back to X isn't possible then.

Kind regards,
Holger

Thank you. I ended up installing the graphics/intel-backlight package and it works. But I am now facing random reboots. I think the reboots only happen if I have Xorg running. It might me think my hardware is not fully supported, or something is not reconfigured properly.

Back